ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Merge image sequence+audio?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Balazs Frank
Merge image sequence+audio?
on Aug 12, 2010 at 10:53:44 am

Hi,

I have an AE rendered image sequence, and also have a single audio track (runs in sync with the image sequence at 30 fps).

Is there any way to merge the image sequence and the audio file into a f4v H264 file using just Adobe Media Encoder?

I can not find merge option... or does merge audio and video requires a different app?

Thanks,
B.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Merge image sequence+audio?
on Aug 12, 2010 at 1:43:55 pm

Spare yourself the grief and just do this kind of work in an editing application. That's what they're made for.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Balazs Frank
on Aug 12, 2010 at 2:17:43 pm

Ok, thanks.

Return to posts index

Balazs Frank
on Aug 12, 2010 at 2:21:13 pm

I understand. However it is written in the Adobe Media Encoder help that I can import image sequences.

When I select the first and the last item of the image sequence, and add it to Media Encoder, it does not recognize it as a sequence, loads each image as a separate project instead.

How to import them as a sequence into Adobe Media Encoder?

Thanks,
B.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 12, 2010 at 2:31:54 pm

How does Adobe Media Encoder even enter your workflow at this point?

You've just been advised to bring this image sequence created in AE into an editing application to add the audio. Was that not clear?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Brearley
on Jan 3, 2013 at 5:30:18 pm

I have to say Dave that I find most of your posts to be condescending, rude and to be honest most of the time, full of poor advice. I'm amazed at the respect that you get given around here.

Balazs makes a perfectly good point and this should be a feature of Media Encoder (Adobe, why is it not?). Why would he want to take the extra step of having to take it into an editing application to add audio to his sequence only to have re-render it again so it can be imported into Media Encoder?

As you clearly state in this post http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/979100 you should only ever do your compressed encodes out of encoding package - not an editor. This I agree with completely, but how much time would it add to your workflow to have to import 50+ sequences to Premiere to stick the audio on?

Adding audio to sequences in an encoder might not be part of your workflow, but to others it might be a very useful and time saving feature. So in the future, please try not be so rude and to force others into doing as you do so, but instead to help them to achieve what they want to achieve.

Balazs, when you import your sequence, make sure the 'Import as Sequence' tickbox is checked at the bottom. Unfortunately though there is still no option to merge sequences and audio together (that I can find anyway). This is a bit daft as about 99% of videos in the world usually have audio to accompany them so why even bother to have an import sequence option if you can't add audio? Anyway, hopefully Adobe will implement this very simple feature in a future version. Quicktime has been able to do this for years.

Regards

Return to posts index

Justin Keating
on Jan 8, 2013 at 1:28:33 am

Hi Balazs, if I'm understanding you right then another solution might be to...

Import your image sequence into FCP, creating a new sequence with the matching codec/size/etc. Then add the new audio to those sequences, and then send all those sequences straight to Compressor (highlight sequences, right click, send to, compressor).

Compressor will now encode the merge file for you, just make sure that you have the Audio enabled on your settings.

No double rendering!

Return to posts index

Justin Keating
on Jan 8, 2013 at 1:36:02 am

er....assuming you have the Final Cut Studio ofcourse....

Return to posts index

Marco
on Sep 21, 2014 at 9:23:37 pm
Last Edited By Marco on Sep 21, 2014 at 9:24:44 pm

@ Chris Brearley + 1,

I know this is an old post, but I stumbled upon and I wanted to add my 2 c.

In don't understand that attitude, either you (Dave) help or you don't. If you do so, why being rude? You're not forced to help if you don't want.

Now, about the OP question there's another workaround. Import your sequence, clips, audio or whatever in AE (or Premiere), save your project and then open it from within Media Encoder (File, Add After Effects Composition). You'll be prompted to choose what comp you want to render and then you're done.

dsp _

Return to posts index

Chad Ridgeway
on Apr 4, 2016 at 7:28:38 pm

Chris, you just said exactly what I was about to say. Dave, not only are you rude and unlikable, but your posts are rarely helpful. 99% of the time when I see a Dave LaRonde post I know what's coming; a condescending personal attack followed by "do it in another program".

Return to posts index

john datsu
on Apr 27, 2013 at 4:52:17 pm

Use Blender. I came here for this answer and then I remembered Blender compositor. Blender takes a bit to get used to but I have found it to be the only solution to many video problems I have had.

Return to posts index

Sebastian Falkner
on Nov 6, 2014 at 1:43:57 pm

If you are happy with a mkv as output you can also use mkvtoolnix to merge an audio and video file.

Return to posts index

Ht Davis
on Feb 14, 2017 at 11:46:27 am

OMG... ...You guys are great...

Okay everybody listen up. I'm happy to hop in and dance in the same disco, so I hope you don't think me rude. AME has the option to encode video and audio together from an image sequence. Add the audio file to the list of files, make sure you import it as a sequence, and it will detect the audio file (CC2014 and above). Alternatively, get the sequence into AME, then check your export settings, and check the audio box at the top. If it doesn't open a dialogue for you to select an audio file, try adding the audio file to your sequence of pics. Once detected, you should be able to render the file as a movie.

If you started with a video, renderfarmed, and processed, then you should simply add the result as a new comp and apply your audio there.
If you were in premiere originally, you can dupelicate your main sequence, unlink the video from the audio, and replace it with the comp from AE, then export out flat from premiere, or queue to AME. It's not perfectly intuitive, but it will let you view your work in perfect clarity, add a few more effects and save on preview time...

I'm assuming by farming it out, you want to continue to work, either on another project or the same one. If the same one, do the AE comp and drop the comp into the dupe sequence. You can re-render this out whenever you want, replacing frames in AE as necessary. By dynamically linking, you are creating a decompressed master set of frames, then linking those files to a new comp that will dynamically update back in the dupe. If you want to continue to dupelicate markers for edits and chapters etc, then just redupe and drop in the comp for each change, but only render the changed frames. Boom... ...Blew your mind huh? This has worked well for me since cs6. By rendering previews of the comp sequence in premiere to get a good look at sections where I want to place fx (and setting the work area to those spots only), it takes minutes to render and preview a change. Honestly, I like to add the fx to a comp set of frames so I can use one sequence, then re-render the images and render out for my targets quickly. By rendering out to the folder first, I can then add the project to AME, set 3 or 4 targets and process them all in parallel. Overnight I hit every target, and everything in sync.

For those with Final cut and compressor... ...Compressor will farm out renders to computers with compressor... ...currently After effects doesn't care if you're pc or mac...
Compressor is great at dumping a folder of images from interlaced video so I can output progressive. The only reason I keep it... Besides pro-logic stereo upscaling of audio...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]