ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Outer glow color change linking keyframes, 4 dimensional expression?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marty Hoedjes
Outer glow color change linking keyframes, 4 dimensional expression?
on Aug 12, 2010 at 9:18:53 am

Dear people,

I have a layer to which I have applied outer glow. Now I want to change the colour from gold to black whenever, for instance, the opacity increases. I tried to drag the pig tail to the opacity, then I get this:

temp = layerStyle.outerGlow.opacity;
[temp, temp, temp, temp]

I suppose this array is [C,M,Y,K], but the thing is: whenever the colour is supposed to be black, AE still renders gold. What's up with that?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Outer glow color change linking keyframes, 4 dimensional expression?
on Aug 12, 2010 at 6:53:27 pm

It's definitely not CMYK. After Effects has no knowledge of CMYK. Not knowing what you dragged the pick whipped between, it's hard to know exactly what's going on, but I will take a guess.
I'm guessing you pick whipped from the glow's color to the opacity.
And I'm guessing you are being presented with RGBA values. (Red, Green, Blue, and Alpha)
Since opacity is one number and the glow color requires four different numbers you can't drag directly between them and expect it to work.

I'm still a bit confused as to what you did. You say "when it's supposed to be black, it's still gold) but you don't mention what you did to try to make it be black. All you talked about was one pick whip (and you didn't even mention what values it was between). More info might help.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Marty Hoedjes
Re: Outer glow color change linking keyframes, 4 dimensional expression?
on Aug 13, 2010 at 11:01:47 am

I did tell what I wanted to do:

"Now I want to change the colour from gold to black whenever, for instance, the opacity increases. "

So I guessed dragging the pickwhip to the opacity bar would at least change the colour. You know, when opacity would reach 100 C, M, Y, and K would all be be 100. I did this to test the principle, and I would want to finetune later on (set the default value to gold and correct the colour channels to go to black whenever the opacity increases.

But linking colour to that expresiion didn't do anything, it was still gold all the way through while the opacity fluctuates pretty wildly.

I have been screwing about a little bit, and I made this expression:

temp = thisComp.layer("mohagony coffin").transform.opacity;
[0, 2*temp, 0, 1]

This would mean that with opacity 100% on the mohagony coffin layer, the thing would be green, and with opacity 0 it would be black right?
Because now it's green all the way. I can't see what it is I'm doing wrong.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]