ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Making A Transition!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lewis SpearingMaking A Transition!
by on Aug 11, 2010 at 4:33:48 pm

I am going to make a new webshow soon and I am getting all the elements together before I start editing and making the show. So I was thinking, is it possible to make your own transition?

Part of the logo is an arrow, so I want to make a transition where an arrow pans across the screen, and as it pans it removes "Clip A" and replaces it with "Clip B". Think of it like a wipe, if you get me?!

Ideas?

I also have access to Premiere and Final Cut if need be.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Making A Transition!
by on Aug 11, 2010 at 4:45:40 pm

[Lewis Spearing] "is it possible to make your own transition? "

Sure. To make the kind you're thinking about, animate the arrow, and render out of AE with an alpha channel -- QT's PNG codec is a good choice. It works well in FCP.

To make the transition, put the animated arrow above the outgoing and incoming clips. Then use a slide transition on the incoming clip. Time it out to match the timing of the arrow.

Once you've got it, you can just drag the transition into the FCP browser to use it over & over again.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Making A Transition!
by on Aug 11, 2010 at 5:19:01 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "Sure. To make the kind you're thinking about, animate the arrow, and render out of AE with an alpha channel -- QT's PNG codec is a good choice. It works well in FCP. To make the transition, put the animated arrow above the outgoing and incoming clips. Then use a slide transition on the incoming clip. Time it out to match the timing of the arrow."

Dave, if you're using FCP 7, you will love the new Alpha Transition effect.

You apply Alpha Transition to an edit point in FCP, just like any other transition. Open the Alpha Transition in the Viewer, then drag and drop three clips into the image wells: clip (fill), clip alpha matte (key), and wipe matte.

You don't have to worry about trying to match the wipe to the motion; you can change the duration of the transition, and it will automatically apply speed ramps for you; and you can copy and paste the transition.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]