ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

The sketchy jittering look

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ala Mctoom
The sketchy jittering look
on Aug 11, 2010 at 12:47:33 am

I'm trying to figure out the most convenient method to make the sketchy titles like "google voice" in this video for example:

I'm assuming there are many pictures for the same title with slight changes in shape and color between one and another. Each one appears at a frame then disappears to let the other one in.

I hope my assumption is wrong and there is a direct effect or plugin for such look.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: The sketchy jittering look
on Aug 11, 2010 at 2:18:17 pm

[Ala Mctoom] "I hope my assumption is wrong and there is a direct effect or plugin for such look."

Nope, you're not wrong -- that's how they do it. If you look at some of the images, you'll notice that there are small changes in perspective. You can't change the perspective on a 2D image, you have to make another image.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Aug 11, 2010 at 3:11:55 pm

If you have a 3d app, you could create the images in that with camera move. Bring in to AE and use the "Cartoon" effect. Play around with the Detail/Threashold and Fill---steps and smoothness.

Add a roughen edges effect and you would have something pretty similiar.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.thinkck.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 11, 2010 at 7:35:12 pm

Another thing to keep in mind: you don't need tons of images to pull this look off. You could do it easily with six or so. Import them as an image sequence. In the interpret footage settings, conform the sequence to something like 5 frames/sec and then loop the footage as many times as you need.

Done!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ala Mctoom
on Aug 11, 2010 at 7:52:20 pm

Thank you Dave for the great response! The second replay made it clear to me. Initially I was thinking of making it by turning each image opacity between 0 and 100!

John I think you're talking about the 3d objects which are obviously created using a 3d software. Although they have that sketchy effect too which is more complicated this way. I'm sure the animation is exported from the 3d software as an image sequence then individually coloring each frame before importing it to After effects. I can imagine how long it would take.

Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Aug 11, 2010 at 9:43:50 pm

The animator might have used an Art Shader with the Sketch & Toon Module in Cinema 4D. AE may or may not have been used afterward.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]