ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Render Speed

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Till
Render Speed
on Aug 10, 2010 at 9:12:06 pm

Hey all, render settings question.

I just upgraded from 4GB 1067MHz RAM to 8GB but am not seeing any render speed improvement.

Running on an iMac with 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and OS X 10.6.3 using AE CS5

The multiple frames render setting is allotting .75GB per core for BG operations.

Any ideas as to why it's still kind of slow?

Thanks,
Rob

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Render Speed
on Aug 10, 2010 at 9:41:07 pm

[Robert Till] "Running on an iMac with 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and OS X 10.6.3 using AE CS5... The multiple frames render setting is allotting .75GB per core for BG operations."

I guess that means you've got 4 cores total, right? Are you reserving at least one of those cores for the OS & open applications?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 10, 2010 at 9:41:45 pm

[Robert Till] "The multiple frames render setting is allotting .75GB per core for BG operations."

From Memory (RAM) usage in 64-bit After Effects:

RAM Allocation Per Background CPU Specifies the minimum amount of RAM that will be allocated to each background process, each of which runs on its own CPU (processor core). Setting this value lower can allow more CPUs to be used simultaneously with a limited amount of RAM. However, if you set this value too low for the kinds of frames that you are rendering, then the background processes will fail to render frames at all, and only the foreground process will be used to render frames. For example, you should not set this value to low value of 0.75 GB if you are rendering frames with the pixel dimensions of high-definition television or digital cinema.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Aug 10, 2010 at 11:27:57 pm

I've written several documents about performance and memory and processor resources in After Effects. They're collected here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]