ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Working off Firewire 800 HD's

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris TarrozaWorking off Firewire 800 HD's
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 8:43:10 pm

Hey guys, I have a hardware question for you!

I'm going to be working from home on an iMac i7 and it has no e-sata or the ability to install extra internal drives. My only option is to work off the single firewire 800 port (which I will probably have to find a good hub to expand the number of ports).

In terms of workflow, is it a good idea to work entirely off the firewire HD? Or do I bring all the assets and project files into my internal drive and use the firewire HD only as a back-up? I could be mistaken, but I've heard that it's not a good idea to work off your internal drive where your OS is installed.

Also, if I ever do work with footage it will mostly be standard-def or 720p at most.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Working off Firewire 800 HD's
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 8:48:48 pm

The firewire drive ought to be just fine for AE work. You're wise to keep user files off the system drive.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Working off Firewire 800 HD's
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 9:02:47 pm

Yep ... I do AE work by reading data from and/or writing to external FW800 drives all the time and never had a problem. Not sure how easy it'll be to find a FW800 expansion hub ... perhaps just use drives with more than one port and chain them together ... I like these:

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Working off Firewire 800 HD's
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 9:30:06 pm

Hi Chris,

I've had no problem cutting in FCP off FW800 drives with DVCPROHD 720p footage. AE should pose no problem, since in my experience, the drive speed is only the third speed factor behind processor and RAM.

Return to posts index

Chris TarrozaRe: Working off Firewire 800 HD's
by on Aug 17, 2010 at 1:03:18 am

I'm just wondering then, should I even worry about getting something like a RAID or just go to my local Best Buy and get an external FW hard drive from there? From my understanding, the drives have to be at 7200rpm and no lower to avoid any problems.

Any particular brand? I've been looking at G-Drives and G-Raids. These even necessary?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved