ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Removing Number Plates

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Grant DawsonRemoving Number Plates
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 12:26:52 pm

Hi everybody.
Im making a few videos, like this one here

And im basically trying to remove peoples number plates. does anybody have any Ideas or Tips of doing this?
Im thinking i prob have to use masks and tracking but not 100% on how this is done. Ive also tryied to just track manually with a 4point Garbage matte and its just way to time consuming.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Removing Number Plates
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 7:36:07 pm

If the plates you're trying to remove are those on the cars that pass by really fast.... my question is why? But regardless, the few frames that the licence plate is visible can be painted or blurred (the region).

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Removing Number Plates
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 8:09:43 pm

Tudor is right that in this case manual painting might do, since there are so few frames.

But, the general answer:

Use motion tracking on a license ppate, apply that motion-tracking data to a solid layer, use that layer as an adjustment layer, and apply the Mosaic effect (or a blur effect) to the adjustment layer. This gives you a rectangular blocky/pixelated (or blurred) region over the license plate. If you want to be more refined, you can draw a mask on the adjustment layer to match the shape of the plate and get into more detailed rotoscoping.

If you're using After Effects CS5, I'd recommend using Roto Brush to do much the same thing.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Grant DawsonRe: moving Number Plates
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 9:58:44 pm

On the other videos I have I am following other bikes (like on the example but much closer) and the plates show up pretty clearly, specially because the camera I use seems to have a bit of a zoom, even when none is used. So if u sit about 2 or 3 meters back it appears that your more like a meter.
But I shall try the tracking option, thanks for your help

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved