ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS5: Unable to allocate # MB of memory...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kirk SmithCS5: Unable to allocate # MB of memory...
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 9:28:13 am

I'm trying to use Soundkeys to create a particle animation, but I keep running into this error. I'm using After Effects CS5 and I have 8GB of RAM installed, 6.5 of which is allocated to After Effects. The song I'm trying to process is just over 5 minutes long. I can RAM preview just fine, but when I try to create the keyframes I get an error that says:

After Effects: Unable to allocate 0.454 MB of memory. Either decrease the memory requirements for the rendering of this frame, or install more RAM. (12803 / list).

It's happened twice now, luckily this time I saved my project before trying to create the keyframes, but it's getting really frustrating. I'm not rendering any frames, I'm creating keyframes, so what's the issue? I think it might have to do with the framerate of Soundkeys, I have it set to use my comp framerate, which is 30. Since the song is 5 minutes long, that's 27,000 keyframes it's trying to create (9000 per range, all 3 ranges.) Could that be the issue?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: CS5: Unable to allocate # MB of memory...
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 2:41:45 pm

The way I understand it, AE can use RAM in a couple of different ways.

First, you can allocate RAM to the OS and open applications, and it sounds like you've left about 1.5GB, which is a pretty good number.

You can also allocate RAM (and processors) for previewing. It's done an a per-core basis. A little hypothetical arithmetic reveals a potential problem:
6 cores x 1GB/core=6GB. If you only have 6.5 GB allocated to AE, you're not leaving much to process other things in the comp.

And you should understand that you'll never, ever be able to preview the entire length of your comp. If you had an HP workstation capable of addressing 128 GB RAM, you'd stand a fighting chance... but you don't.

You can maximize the duration of you RAM previews using a number of strategies. Look in AE Help under the previewing section.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jay HandlesonRe: CS5: Unable to allocate # MB of memory...
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 6:45:02 pm

Try limiting the number of processors that AE is using.

will I ever learn?!

Return to posts index

Kirk SmithRe: CS5: Unable to allocate # MB of memory...
by on Aug 11, 2010 at 12:54:50 am

I've got render multiple frames disabled, though I'm on a dual core processor, I've always had issues with that option, so I should be using all 6 gigs on a single core.

What I ended up doing is lowering the keyframe rate of Sound Keys to 15 and that worked. I thought about going back and doing one range at a time at 30fps, but I'd gotten far enough in the project that I didn't want to mess anything up.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: CS5: Unable to allocate # MB of memory...
by on Aug 11, 2010 at 2:14:00 pm

[Kirk Smith] "What I ended up doing is lowering the keyframe rate of Sound Keys to 15 and that worked. I thought about going back and doing one range at a time at 30fps..."

I'm not fortunate enough to have Soundkeys. How do you change the frame rate like that: in the plugin itself, or by changing the comp settings?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kirk SmithRe: CS5: Unable to allocate # MB of memory...
by on Aug 11, 2010 at 9:51:04 pm

There is a nifty feature built right into the plugin that allows you to either use the Comp framerate, or specify your own.

Return to posts index

alex ezorskyRe: CS5: Unable to allocate # MB of memory...
by on Nov 23, 2013 at 8:19:38 pm

Hi I have also recently received this error. The strange thing is that the error arises even on previous save versions which I know for sure worked less than a week ago.

I know my system is outdated (a 2008 mbp w/ 4gb ram) but it was working fine on my project. The only things I've done recently were replace the screen, and take out and put back the RAM. The screen works fine, and the ram is perfectly recognized.

Any idea what gives?

I've tried:
resetting PRAM
purging cache
starting with caps lock on (so it doesn't try rendering the frame)
resetting AE settings

I'm really boggled.

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]