ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

import a wmv to AECS4 on a mac

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessica Bartoshewskiimport a wmv to AECS4 on a mac
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 4:09:41 am

Greetings,

I am trying to create a demo reel from pieces I made at work on a pc to my home computer (which is a mac). I wanted to import wmvs becuase they take up less space than an avis or movs. I can import avis and movs just fine, but AE won't let me import wmv.

Does anyone know why this is and how I might get around it?

Thankyou

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: import a wmv to AECS4 on a mac
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 10:02:36 am

[Jessica Bartoshewski] "I wanted to import wmvs becuase they take up less space than an avis or movs. I can import avis and movs just fine, but AE won't let me import wmv. "

WMV import is supported on PCs (going back to at least CS3 and possibly further), but not on Macs. See the Supported input format page of the help for more.

You will have to either output original files in a supported format, or transcode your WMVs to a supported format which AE will use.

Pre-CS5, AE had a lot of trouble with footage with interframe compression (meaning frames depend on other frames elsewhere in the stream to decode), like most MPEG files, WMV, h264, etc. It's best to use footage with intraframe compression (meaning each frame is independent of any others in the stream), like Uncompressed, Animation, Quicktime with PNG compression, ProRes, DV, etc.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: import a wmv to AECS4 on a mac
by on Aug 10, 2010 at 2:26:10 pm

[Jessica Bartoshewski] "I am trying to create a demo reel from pieces I made at work... I wanted to import wmvs because they take up less space than an avis or movs."

Walter gave you excellent reasons why windows media is a bad choice. Here's another one -- you're assembling a demo reel, so you want to put your best foot forward. Because windows media is highly compressed, it loses image quality. That's the last thing you want.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]