ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Mosaic of images within text issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicolae CiobotaMosaic of images within text issue
by on Aug 9, 2010 at 2:38:36 pm

I m looking to create a mosaic of images (150) but the mosaic is within 4 words in arial.
I download the mocosaix and created the text in Photshop with a transparent bacground. I exported it as png and set it as source in macosaix. The problem is that the mosaic goes outside the boundaries of the text.
I know I can mask it but I need to be able to animate each picture using card dance and if I mask the text most images will be lost.
Is there any other plugin software which can do this?
Will see the transparency and only build the mosaic within the non transparent areas?

At the moment I m trying to do it by hand using the grid to align the images. Not only is going to take forever but also I ll end up with duplicate images.

Thanks very much

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Mosaic of images within text issue
by on Aug 9, 2010 at 7:18:27 pm

Build your mosaic. Precomp it. Use your letters as a track matte for the precomp.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Mosaic of images within text issue
by on Aug 9, 2010 at 7:30:39 pm

i believe that macosaix uses rgb values for areas of an image and then finds images that have a similar average rgb value to place in those areas... i don't think alpha is in the equation.

so, what you might try is creating the text on a solid background that is not of a color that will be in the text -- maybe pure rgb green (0,255,0) -- and have one similar colored image in the folder of images that macosiax is drawing from. then, hopefully, the background color will be made from this one colored image that you could then key out in after effects (or even in photoshop, using select>color range... then deleting the selection).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved