ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Jagged edges with red/orange on blue background

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt PattonJagged edges with red/orange on blue background
by on Aug 8, 2010 at 6:44:41 pm

I apologize if this has already been addressed somewhere but I've done a fairly exhaustive search of all my normal outlets.

I'm working in CS4 and anytime I have text or a shape that is a fairly saturated orange or red on a blue back ground I get some nasty jagged edges when I render out. I've been rendering to ProRes 422(HQ) and everything else has the great crisp lines I'm used to. Inside my project in AE the edges look great.

Here's how it looks in AE. The graphics are all masked solids.

Here's a closeup of how the rendered file Looks. Note the edges of the figure and red drop. You may have to expand it to get the full effect

I've tried a ton of different render settings with pretty much the same results. This is driving me crazy.

Please Help!

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Jagged edges with red/orange on blue background
by on Aug 8, 2010 at 7:56:21 pm

it's one of two things, either you don't have rasterized switch on layer AND precomp, even if the image supports it(non-bmp, vector capable) or you need to render out a higher quality file such as Tiff 16 bit(project settings 16 or 32bpc too!) trillions+ lzw off. Prores is only 4:2:2 and red and yellow explode with 8 bit or 2:2 chroma.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Matt PattonRe: Jagged edges with red/orange on blue background
by on Aug 8, 2010 at 9:23:29 pm

The Tiff solution seems to work but what if my final delivery has to be an H.264 file for web (Youtbe, Vimeo). Am I going to have the same issues since the 16 bit color space information isn't there?

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Jagged edges with red/orange on blue background
by on Aug 8, 2010 at 10:08:14 pm

garbage in, garbage out. depending on the bitrate, you'll lose some quality but at least you'll have a better master. Even LOTR would look bad on vimeo.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]