ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendered output is shorter than the original ??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen MannRendered output is shorter than the original ??
by on Aug 8, 2010 at 2:46:21 pm

I have a project due tomorrow that simply drops a video segment that I shot and edited in Vegas into an AE template that the client provided. This is my first time using AE - I postponed the painful outlay of money until I had a client that required the use of AE - Now I have one. (yay?)

Here's the problem. (One of two). My video was shot in HDV and rendered from Vegas as DV-NTSC Widescreen (.avi) and is 3:17;00 in length No matter what I do in the AE render settings, the rendered output of AE is always 2:38;00. It looks good in preview, and the audio syncs (apparently a rarity in AE*) and in the preview, is 3:17;00 long.

The second of two problems: I've learned from researching this on the forums that AE apparently sucks when previewing or rendering audio, and if you get audio to sync in preview, then you are just lucky. I am lucky, then, because the composition looks and sounds great in RAM preview. However, in my rendered output the audio is WAY out of sync by a few seconds. I can't tell if it's drifting over time because it starts from the beginning out of sync. Assuming that the audio render was part of my problems, I thought, no problem, I'll just render the video then match up the audio back in Vegas. I mute the audio and the rendered output is *still* 2:38;00.

I've tried Settings: 'Best Settings' and 'DV Settings', Output module: 'Uncompressed AVI' and 'AVI DV NTSC 48Khz'. Always the same result, 2:38;00

It appears that the whole composition has shrunk by 39-seconds. The start is OK and the fade-out at the end is OK, but if AE is going to shrink my render by :39 (any shrinkage would be a problem) I can't re-sync the audio back in Vegas.

Can someone please help me figure this out?

Thanks,
Steve Mann

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

Jim ScottRe: Rendered output is shorter than the original ??
by on Aug 8, 2010 at 4:33:03 pm

Just a quick possibility - have you confirmed that Time Span in the Render Settings is set to Length of Comp and not Work Area Only?

Update:
Whoops, never mind. I just re-read your post where you said that the beginning and end are fine.

My next guess would be that the frame rates in your Render Settings don't match up with your composition settings. Does the Duration in the Time Sampling window show 3:17 or 2:38?

Further update:
A little math tells me that you probably have a 24fps comp, but are rendering it at 30fps. The render then is playing your original number of frames at a faster rate (1.25 X), so the 3:17 becomes 2:38. (197 seconds divided by 1.25 equals 158 seconds)

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Rendered output is shorter than the original ??
by on Aug 8, 2010 at 5:01:53 pm

[Jim Scott] "A little math tells me that you probably have a 24fps comp, but are rendering it at 30fps. The render then is playing your original number of frames at a faster rate (1.25 X), so the 3:17 becomes 2:38. (197 seconds divided by 1.25 equals 158 seconds)"

I agree. One quick addition: though I'm not familiar with how Vegas in particular handles 24p, almost all video 24p really runs at 23.976 frames per second. After Effects is very precise, so if you need to output 23.976 frames per second, you must be sure to set it at 23.976 frames per second (not 23.98, and not 24).

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Jim ScottRe: Rendered output is shorter than the original ??
by on Aug 8, 2010 at 5:17:02 pm

Thanks for verifying my math Walter.

So Stephen, just make sure that Frame Rate in your Render Settings is set to Use comp's frame rate and you should be good to go.

Return to posts index

Stephen MannRe: Rendered output is shorter than the original ??
by on Aug 8, 2010 at 10:36:19 pm

You guys nailed it. Thanks. The footage is 29.97 and the comp settings was for 23.976

I probably glanced and saw the .97, but the 23 never registered.

Thank you very much.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]