ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

how to correct old, muffled audio?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Daniels
how to correct old, muffled audio?
on Aug 7, 2010 at 5:21:49 pm

I have old vhs footage (home movies) that the audio (most likely due to time) has become muffled. How can I correct this, or atleast make it sound better?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: how to correct old, muffled audio?
on Aug 7, 2010 at 6:16:23 pm

You certainly wouldn't do this in After Effects.

You'd use Audition or Soundbooth. Here's a link to the Audition and Soundbooth forum:
http://forums.creativecow.net/adobeaudition

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Aug 7, 2010 at 6:17:27 pm

you'll need a good parametric sound program with a very precise equalizer like pro tools or even get by with soundforge, then start raising the mid's 500hz and high's 1k until they sound more human, then use noise removers.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Joe Daniels
on Aug 8, 2010 at 1:24:27 am

thanks for the pointers guys...I will definately check this out. I thought since after effects had "some" audio features, that I could use those. I do have soundbooth, I have just never really used it!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 10, 2010 at 5:29:28 pm

[Joe Daniels] "I have old vhs footage (home movies) that the audio (most likely due to time) has become muffled. How can I correct this, or atleast make it sound better?"

VHS decks have been known to get out of alignment. It could have happened to the audio head on your deck. If you get the heads aligned, you may be surprised by the improvement in audio quality: particularly with higher frequency sounds, the lack of which make audio sound muffled.

Sure, you can mess with an audio program, but if the frequencies aren't there to boost, all you do is increase the noise.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]