ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AVI Codec?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dirk D. LopezAVI Codec?
by on Aug 6, 2010 at 7:06:52 pm

I would like to know how I can install the AVI codec on my MAC so that I can export files straight from After Effects.

A Google search is not yielding any results. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: AVI Codec?
by on Aug 6, 2010 at 7:54:53 pm

My apologies that I seem to have misspoke in response to your earlier post. Although what I said about having to have the corresponding codecs installed in order to render to a particular format is true, apparently AVI is no longer available in AE's output module window regardless of what codecs you have installed ... it seems you have to go to File > Export > AVI ... something I never do so I hadn't considered it.

Sorry about that ... I guess it's been a while since I needed to render an AVI from one of my Macs so I didn't notice that anything had changed.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AVI Codec?
by on Aug 6, 2010 at 8:50:37 pm

[Dirk D. Lopez] "I would like to know how I can install the AVI codec on my MAC"

AVI is not a codec; it's a container. Like Quicktime and other container formats, it can hold a wide variety of codecs, like DivX, DV, or Uncompressed. If you are being asked to deliver AVI files, you should find out what video codec is expected for your delivery.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dirk D. LopezRe: AVI Codec?
by on Aug 7, 2010 at 10:53:40 pm

Ok thanks all! Looks like everything ended up working out in the end.

I just used the FILE> EXPORT TO AVI and that worked. The render queue option is no longer available which I still think is weird.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved