ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Rendering properly for broadcast

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pierre Paré-Blais
Rendering properly for broadcast
on Aug 6, 2010 at 12:35:25 am

hi,

I'm working on my first broadcast contract for canadian national television... it's a 50min documentary for which I'm responsible of a large number of cg shot. all of them will be leaving me from after effects to go to the editor/director in Avid MC. Basically I want to make sure I output my render properly based on the CBC's specification...

these are as follow:

The image format shall be 1920 x 1080 pixels and compliant with the SMPTE 274-1998 standard.
The sampling structure shall be 4:2:2 with 10-bit quantizing. These image specifications should be preserved as much as possible throughout the complete production process.
The video frame rate shall be 29.97 frames per second, 2:1 interlaced. The exact value of this frame rate is given by 30 / 1.001.
This format is defined at line 5 of Table 1 in the SMPTE 274-1998 standard, and is commonly designated as 59i.

Now there's a few things in there I don't quite understand yet, as I am mostly used to working and delivering in 1080p/24...

here's what I understand in terms of how it affects me.

I'm rendering to a quicktime (I'm on a mac, so this seems natural)... I am using DNxHD codec and my codec settings are 1080i/59.94 DNxHD 220 - 10bits, my color is set to 709.

so far so good, I think.

where I get confused is in terms of my comps' frame rates... should my comps be set to 29.97 frame rate or 59.94?

also what about frame ordering, I know in the render setting there is a field render option, I believe I should be setting this to upper, right? which is the equivalent of odd?

if someone could help me make sure this is correct, and also point out if there's anything else I haven't thought of which I should know...

thanks

Pierre P. Blais
Multimedia performance and VFX artist
Pierre P. Blais Productions
Perception Films
http://www.vimeo.com/user1771129

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Rendering properly for broadcast
on Aug 6, 2010 at 2:33:22 pm

You are very close indeed, sir.

You know which codec to use: DNxHD. You know the resolution: 1920x1080. The unresolved issue is the frame rate. You should work at 29.97, and when render time comes, it should be upper field first, which is the proper field order for 1080 video. The term "odd" is correct.

My only question is this: do you have the capability to monitor luminance and chroma levels to keep them within the specification? The standard is mentioned, and they assume you know the implications for it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 6, 2010 at 3:09:55 pm

Dave's advice, as always, is right on. Just one thing I'd add:

[Pierre Paré-Blais] "I'm responsible of a large number of cg shot. all of them will be leaving me from after effects to go to the editor/director in Avid MC."

I'd discuss your workflow in detail with the editor, who will ultimately be responsible for managing the shots you deliver, and delivering legal and compliant video to the broadcaster.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 6, 2010 at 3:12:56 pm

Thanks for making the advice better, Walter.

I should also add that if you're not familiar with the concepts of video levels and chroma saturation, this is a must-discuss item with the editor. You'll get the information you need.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Pierre Paré-Blais
on Aug 6, 2010 at 9:57:46 pm

Thank you both for your answers.

to tell you the truth, we are a small production house, and we are all forced to wear many hats at different times... as such while my primary function is VFX and CG, I'm also at time assistant editor, IT guy, production assistant, etc. and the editor is also the producer and the director, and frankly he comes to me when it comes to format and technological issues... which is why I've have to take matter into my own hand and seek answers elsewhere sometimes

we have an online editor however who comes in later in the process to do the post, colour correct, conform, etc. He is of course very knowledgeable, and I've already met with him to discuss some of these issues, unfortunately he is not knowledgeable in AFX, and so cannot give AFX specific advice for my workflow. that said I will be having a discussion again with him in the coming week concerning various other issues and I'll be sure to bring this up to make sure I understand the needs properly as it relates to my cg work...

Again thank you.

Pierre P. Blais
Multimedia performance and VFX artist
Pierre P. Blais Productions
Perception Films
http://www.vimeo.com/user1771129

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]