ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Trapcode Form Floor Layer?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sören PurzTrapcode Form Floor Layer?
by on Aug 5, 2010 at 10:41:56 am

it's been quite some time, since I posted here, but now I stumbled upon a problem, where nobody I know has a solution.

I am working on Project in AE where the camera is flying through a sequence of text layers. This ist all done within the 3d space of After Effects.
The text layers are standing on a floor, a simple solid x-rotated 90 degrees.

To create some particles floating around the text I used Trapcode Form.

My Problem is, that I can see all the particles that are there, even the ones that should be below the floor that should not be visible.
Using the floor as an alpha matte for the particles does not work because then I only see the particles that are above the horizon.

A solution could be achived in two ways, I think.
There could be a way to use a 3d-layer as a 3d alpha for the particles, but I didn't find an option that could work that way.

Another thing I tried was using the Kaleidospace with horizontal reflection and the center placed on the floor layer. This worked quite well but then I'd need a way to influence the transparency just of the reflections.

It would be really great if someone has an idea how to do this.

Return to posts index

Eddy RoseRe: Trapcode Form Floor Layer?
by on Aug 5, 2010 at 3:09:50 pm

do you have an adjustment layer in between the form layer and the floor layer?

Cos that could be it

Return to posts index

Christian MoschenRe: Trapcode Form Floor Layer?
by on Aug 6, 2010 at 10:39:15 am

I think, the Problem is, that Form works on a 2d Layer but uses the 3d camera, so now I think it needs the 3d-floor-layer to influence the form effect, which is simulated on a 2d-layer.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Trapcode Form Floor Layer?
by on Aug 6, 2010 at 3:59:44 pm

Use Particular for your particles. If they're just there for atmospherics, it should work just as good as Form (if not better).
You can use things like turbulent displace coupled with a HUGE box emitter and make them look amazing.
Then you can use your floor layer as an obscuration layer. It's just what you want.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved