ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating 3D Circle of stars

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Glenn MillerCreating 3D Circle of stars
by on Aug 5, 2010 at 5:17:48 am

Hi, so I made this path of stars that form a circle. I centered their anchor points in the middle of a circle template I made, then I rotated them by their Z Axis to form them along the path of the outer circle, to create a path of stars that have a circle shape all together.

The problem is I want them to have the 3D depth, the stars further into the circle are smaller, etc. I thought by simply putting them into a 3D environment would do that, but it didn't. Reasoning must be because I rotated Z rather then pushing the Z position.

Any help? I am playing around, trying to figure out the easiest way, and a sufficient way on doing this, This is for our logo, so I hope to do it in a fashion that is easy to manipulate for future references (spinning the circle of stars, having them fall into place, etc.) I was hoping I could set up two anchor points some how, one in the middle of the circle so I can rotate the star along the circular path, and one in the middle of the star to rotate the individual star.

Return to posts index

Paul HennellRe: Creating 3D Circle of stars
by on Aug 5, 2010 at 9:09:25 am

Have you added a 3d Camera to the composition, and are you viewing your scene from the camera (it should say 'active camera' in the drop down on the viewer rather then 'front')?

Only in after effects do children get to pick and whip their parents.

Return to posts index

Andrew Glenn MillerRe: Creating 3D Circle of stars
by on Aug 5, 2010 at 2:36:31 pm

Yes I am, Maybe the stars weren't far apart enough? But then again they looked like they were the exact same size. Is it because they are vector shapes, or the rotation. Ill try spreading them further apart then rotating and see if that makes a difference.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Creating 3D Circle of stars
by on Aug 5, 2010 at 5:18:05 pm

This is the way I would do it. Create 1 star, place it in center of comp and turn on the 3d switch. Move the star along the z position to what you what the radius of your circle to be...farther back, the smaller it will be, larger radius. Now duplicate that star as many times as you need---say 4 if you need 5 stars.

Create a null and turn on it's 3d switch. Parent 4 of the 5 stars to the null. To equally space 5 stars, 360/5 = 72 degrees. Rotate the null 72 degrees along the Y access. Now deselect 1 more star and rotate 72 more degrees. Do this until all the stars are equally spaced in a circle. Now you can parent all the stars back to the null, rotate, scale, position and they will all move in seq.

You can also add a camera and apply depth of focus. If you want all the stars to always be facing the camera. cntl+alt+o and change the orientation to always orient to camera.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Andrew Glenn MillerRe: Creating 3D Circle of stars
by on Aug 9, 2010 at 6:24:59 pm

It seems somethings wrong when I have to pull them apart by 100's of thousands Z Pixels and they still don't barely seem far apart enough. I basically want the front end to be coming out twice the size. and im pulling them apart and apart, then resizing to actually see them and they still remain almost like a fixed distance apart size. The whole ring is titled upwards by 22.5 degrees, but that shouldnt make much of a difference.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved