ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Locking distortion effects(ccsmear) to adjustment layer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris King
Locking distortion effects(ccsmear) to adjustment layer
on Aug 4, 2010 at 9:40:01 pm

Hi is there anyway to lock an effect like ccsmear to a moving null object or adjustment layer?

I've managed to get a null object to track a moving object in some footage, but now how do I get an effect like ccsmear to lock to the null object, so that the smear follows the moving object?

I know this is a very basic question, but I can't figure it out.....

Chris

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Locking distortion effects(ccsmear) to adjustment layer
on Aug 4, 2010 at 10:01:06 pm

Here's what the Cycore folks say about Smear:

"Smear allows you to create animatable warping distortion effects. Smear warps a radial area on the source layer, based around a starting point, towards an end point. You can apply multiple Smear effects to your source layer and put the control points of each effect instance in different positions to create great warping effects."

It sounds to me like you'd need to track two points, not just one.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris King
on Aug 5, 2010 at 7:44:19 am

Hi.

Yes smear needs a start and end point. My question is a fundamental one. I can make a null object or adjustment layer move relative to an object using tracking.

Can I then make an effect such as ccsmear, set it's position relative to, then parent it to that adjustment layer?

If so, one could have a number of smears on one image, all moving with different parts of the image.

Is there any way of doing this?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 5, 2010 at 2:42:37 pm

[Chris King] "Can I then make an effect such as ccsmear, set it's position relative to, then parent it to that adjustment layer?"

Matthew Keane points you to a good tutorial that might do what you seek.

But to directly answer the question above, I say "Try it!" You're not going to break AE if you give it a shot. The worst that can happen -- it won't work. That's not so bad.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matthew Keane
on Aug 5, 2010 at 10:27:46 am

Hi,

Sounds like this tutorial might be what you're looking for (demonic face optional):
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/kramer_andrew/Demon_Face_Warp.php

Basically you track and stabilize the moving object you want to distort, then apply your effect, and then re-apply the tracking motion to animate the smeared footage over the original.

Return to posts index

Chris King
on Aug 5, 2010 at 12:02:29 pm

Yes I did see that tutorial, but it seems like an over complicated way of doing it. What if I want to do several smears on several tracked objects at once (like ten people) do I really have to go over the whole process 10 times? is there an easier way?

Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]