ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Luma Matte Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil LeBeauLuma Matte Question
by on Aug 4, 2010 at 6:21:06 pm

I am trying to add a crinkled paper effect to a drawing of a dog. I have the crinkled paper moving on the dog. I added a LUMA matte from the dog to the paper. But the entire effect bleeds through. I added a green back ground to show that it is bleeding through.

My goal is to have the crinkled paper animate so that it looks like the dog drawing is moving. I will mask out the dog and paper and place it in live video. But when I do that, I see some of the live video behind the dog. Like the transparency is like 80% How do I get the same effect, but have it solid to where I cant see behind the animated character?

trying to upload pics but for some reason the uploader is not working.

Thanks for your help!

I will try and upload pics

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Luma Matte Question
by on Aug 4, 2010 at 6:32:41 pm

You're using Luma Matte the wrong way. A luma matte is a way to create transparency. The luminance in the luma matte layer determines the transparency -- white is totally opaque, black is totally transparent, and shades of gray create semi-transparency... and you see the result in the layer just below the luma matte.

First, get your paper & drawing animation looking right -- instead of a luma matte, you might think about using one of AE's blending modes. Then nest the comp in a second comp over the video, and mask the nested comp.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Phil LeBeauRe: Luma Matte Question
by on Aug 4, 2010 at 7:09:40 pm

Thanks a million - I took your suggestion used multiply transfer mode on the white paper over the colored dog and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks so much - I will work more with it later.

and I will try and post some pics - cant get the uploader to work :-(

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved