ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Audio clip restarts when rendered in composition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danny SoderbergAudio clip restarts when rendered in composition
by on Aug 4, 2010 at 2:11:36 am

I am working in After Effects CS5 on my Mac OS.

When I start a RAM Preview of an audio clip at a point that is not at the start of the audio clip, it will sometimes play the clip as if it is playing from the beginning (even though it is clearly starting from somewhere in the middle of the clip). 50% of the time I render, it will start from the beginning, and 50% of the time it will start from where it actually is.
It seems random. I'll repeatedly hit the RAM Preview button and find there is no pattern of when it starts from the beginning and when it starts from it's actually position.
The audio files are AIFF encoded as 16 bit at 44.1 kHz. I've had funny things like this happen when editing compressed mp3 files but not with AIFF. (In fact, I've never edited an AIFF file because I am new to Mac's and just assumed they were the way to go).

Hope this makes sense.
Please help if you can.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Audio clip restarts when rendered in composition
by on Aug 4, 2010 at 2:00:47 pm

See this Adobe TechNote: Audio playback or RAM preview is scrambled or jumps around in After Effects...

Although AIFF has worked in After Effects for as long as I can remember, this is a new and known bug in AE10. The solution is to transcode to WAV.

I find it shocking that this major bug made it into production, and encourage you to submit a bug report.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Danny SoderbergRe: Audio clip restarts when rendered in composition
by on Aug 4, 2010 at 7:56:29 pm

Walter,
Thank you very much for the help. It was my impression that you shouldn't use WAV files on Macs. Is this a bad assumption?
-Daniel

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Audio clip restarts when rendered in composition
by on Aug 4, 2010 at 8:01:11 pm

[Danny Soderberg] "It was my impression that you shouldn't use WAV files on Macs. Is this a bad assumption?"

This used to be true, but for the most part, Macs and PCs now handle both AIFF and WAV.

Until this bug is fixed, Adobe's recommended workaround is transcoding AIFF to WAV on both platforms.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]