ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

log dpx??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
al brownlog dpx??
by on Aug 3, 2010 at 11:23:18 am

if anyone can assist i'll owe them a beer. actually, a case.

i'm a lady of broadcast, and need to deliver a log dpx seq. the good news is that i know how to make the dpx, but how to make it log - that's the bad news.

the project is 100% created in afx except for a qt comped somewhere way back.

i've found a few links talking about log/linear clr spaces but i'm totally up against it and need to deliver this as soon as i can. hoping, praying, for someone who can tell me what my project + comp + render settings need to be.

beers on hold!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: log dpx??
by on Aug 3, 2010 at 1:56:47 pm

Since you're presumably working in a linear space, you have to convert your sequence to a logarithmic space on output -- just select the "Standard" preset in Output Module > Format Settings > Cineon Settings.

To test on your monitor, re-import your DPX sequence to AE; it should appear horribly washed out. Apply a "Log to Lin" Cineon conversion and it should look like your original.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

al brownRe: log dpx??
by on Aug 3, 2010 at 2:00:53 pm

Thanks for the reply!! To clarify:

> do my project settings need to be anything specific? my color settings are 32 bit (fl) + working space is set to none. also unticked are blend colours and match legacy.

> because my settings are as per above, does this mean i'm working in a linear space?

> i don't have a monitor. will i be able to test if it's worked just by applying the Log to Lin conversion?

thankx!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: log dpx??
by on Aug 3, 2010 at 2:33:23 pm

[al brown] "do my project settings need to be anything specific? my color settings are 32 bit (fl) + working space is set to none. also unticked are blend colours and match legacy. "

I'd leave these settings as they are, unless there's a specific working space (perhaps for HD or film stock) you've been asked to use. Since you're working at 32bpc, I'd choose the "Over Range" preset, with Units set to Decimal in the Cineon settings. Values above 1.0 will be clipped (highlight roll-off of 0).

I only have limited experience with this, so perhaps someone else will chime in if I've missed something.

Perhaps you can deliver a brief test to make sure that your deliverable is as expected?

[al brown] "i don't have a monitor. will i be able to test if it's worked just by applying the Log to Lin conversion?"

You will be able to see this in the comp window on your computer monitor.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]