ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ram Previewing from the end of a comp to the beginning

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason MooreRam Previewing from the end of a comp to the beginning
by on Jul 30, 2010 at 6:22:42 pm

Hey AE Gurus,

I have what is probably a very simple question. I've been building looping backgrounds in After Effects for a while, and have always had to sort of trust that the loop is all set up correctly with the first and last frames being sequential or I have to do render test because the comp is often too long to load in ram all at one time.

I was watching a tutorial one day where the guy doing the tutorial had his ram preview set up to start at the current frame (toward the end of the comp), and then go to the first frame of the comp smoothly. Where is the setting for that? I want to start about 5 seconds from the end of the comp and preview the loop from the end to the beginning without having to preview the whole comp.

I know this is probably simple, but I haven't been successful in figuring it out. I haven't even know what to search which is why I'm here.

Thanks in advance!

Jason Moore

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Ram Previewing from the end of a comp to the beginning
by on Jul 30, 2010 at 6:55:16 pm

My recollection of what things are called may be a little off, but will be close enough to understand ...

If the "playback controls" panel, isn't show in your current workspace layout, bring it up from AE's "Window" drop-down menu. Then, click the checkbox that says "from current frame" and set the "loop playback" button to either "loop" or "ping-pong loop". The loop button probably has two arrows shown in a circular motion.

Return to posts index

Jason MooreRe: Ram Previewing from the end of a comp to the beginning
by on Jul 30, 2010 at 7:18:23 pm

Thanks Dave,

Yes, I've tried that first, but it only seems to let you loop if you ram preview the whole comp.

I need to start at about 5 or 10 seconds toward the end, and see the loop point at the beginning. I can nest it in a new comp, but I thought if I could figure that out, it would save me some steps.

I appreciate your response.

Jason

Jason Moore
Midnight Oil Productions
http://www.midnightoilproductions.com

Return to posts index

Gary HazenRe: Ram Previewing from the end of a comp to the beginning
by on Jul 30, 2010 at 7:14:38 pm

Nest the comp into a new comp. Duplicate the layer and offset the top layer so it starts when the bottom layer ends. Set your work area accordingly and RAM preview.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]