ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Audio Playback problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julie MullinsAudio Playback problem
by on Jul 30, 2010 at 4:51:40 pm

Sometimes after working in After Effects for more than a couple hours, or on a large project, I get the error message: "After Effects warning: Unable to start audio playback. Please confirm your audio device is properly configured or change the driver selection in Preferences:Audio Hardware".

Everything is properly configured. First it starts out not being able to play audio on RAM previews, then it won't play audio on the rendered .movs, and after that no audio will work at all on the computer!

Is this some sort of memory issue?

I am using a 3d photoshop object (on draft resolution for now) in my .aep. Could this be part of the problem for some reason? I'm clueless as to why this is happening

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Audio Playback problem
by on Jul 30, 2010 at 5:19:30 pm

My guess is that it's due to any audio in the comp.

AE does NOT like compressed audio like mp3 or ac3. Convert them to wav files.

AE 10 (aka CS5) is currently having problems with aiff files. The workaround is to use wav files, and Adobe has a permanent fix in the works.

Other things: don't use multiprocessing with 6GB or less. If you have Open GL turned on, see what happens if you turn it off.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Julie MullinsRe: Audio Playback problem
by on Jul 30, 2010 at 6:03:31 pm

I'm using CS4 and AIFF for audio. Everything goes back to normal after I restart the computer. But I'd still like to know what causes the problem.
I DID have OpenGL on, I will try turning it off for the rest of the day and see what happens.

Return to posts index

Chris RothRe: Audio Playback problem
by on Mar 23, 2014 at 8:42:56 pm

I am having this same problem on my new mac pro running mavericks and CC AE. I had the exact setup going on my old mac pro for years... only running mountain lion there. Never a problem like this, and I have routinely used all sorts of different audio source files... wav, arc, mp3, aif, u name it. This is now a semi regular problem which began immediately upon switching to my new work setup. IMO, this is an issue with AE not playing nice w the OS system's audio routing systems ... Given the recent AE update w the notorious / inexcusable bug with the whole audio reverting to 8hz in the render settings...(which took nearly a month to be fixed w the most recent update) I find it pretty easy to believe that this is another code blunder on Adobe's part.

I find restarting After Effects seems to fix the problem. ...or sometimes even adjusting the levels of the audio in the timeline will shake it out of this bug...

Return to posts index

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved