ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Slow Render Times w/o OpenGL

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ari WarsawskiSlow Render Times w/o OpenGL
by on Jul 30, 2010 at 1:58:49 pm

I've been searching for a solution to my problem for a few days now with no luck, so I decided to post this one...

I am trying to render a five-second animation (30fps, 1920x1080). The render process is taking me about two hours to complete which seems just a tad long for a 5 second clip with 1 light and 5 layers (one with motion blur)

If I turn on OpenGL my render time drops to about two minutes, but OpenGL won't render the motion blur.

Let me know if you have any suggestions so I can stop pulling my hair out!

Just for the record, here is the computer I am running:

MacBook Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.53GHz
NVidia 9600GT

PS: I have learned that "rendering" is just the editor's euphemism for "procrastination". =)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Slow Render Times w/o OpenGL
by on Jul 30, 2010 at 2:46:04 pm

Are you running AE 10 (CS5)? If no, I think I know the reason.

In addition to keeping Open GL off, you should also keep multiprocessing off. You don't have nearly enough memory to use it.

Now: one of the prime causes for AE slowness and weirdness before AE 10 was the video footage used in the project. Here's what's up:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved