ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

CS5 memory and multiprocessing settings..

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesse LopezCS5 memory and multiprocessing settings..
by on Jul 29, 2010 at 10:11:06 pm

Alright, i know this is pretty common and yes, i have searched, but nothing has come up for CS5, but even then i still followed by what i learned, and i actually made my RAM previews times worse haha

So... I have After Effects CS5, a Mac Pro, 2X quad core Xeons @ 2.26ghz (16 virtualcores), and 8GB of RAM... what settings would you recommend for me in the memory and multiprocessing settings? i tried to put in what i thought was right, but things got worse than before, so i came here....

any help would be appreciated!

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: CS5 memory and multiprocessing settings..
by on Jul 30, 2010 at 2:41:15 am

You haven't told us what settings you tried.

Also, what's optimimum depends on the sorts of compositions that you're working on.

But, here's a first swing: With 8GB of RAM, you should be leaving 2GB for other software. That gets you down to 6GB. I'll assume that you're working with HD frames, so I'll start by recommending 1.5GB per background process. The foreground takes 1.2x that, which is 1.8GB. That leaves 4.2GB for background processes, so you'll have 2 of those start up. That means that 3 of your processors will be used for Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing. The other cores will be used automatically by the multithreading features that are a totally separate feature than the Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing feature.

8GB of RAM is a very small amount for a computer with 16 processors. 2-4GB of RAM per processor is recommended to actually take advantage of them.

See this page:

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Sebastian LangeRe: CS5 memory and multiprocessing settings..
by on Nov 10, 2010 at 8:45:30 am

Hi Todd,

so which settings would you recommend for a Mac Pro 2,26 core (16 cores with HT) and 12 GB RAM
and AE CS5 (rendering HD frames in720p)?
Could you give me a hint?
If I leave 7 cores and 3 GB for other Apps I have 9 cores and 9 GB left for AE.
And if I try to put 1 GB on these cores AE only uses 7 CPUs (instead of 9?).

I think the AE preference panel for multi-processing is quite confusing for all AE users -
I think your advice is good, but most users do not want to configure, because everybody has
tight deadlines. Why doesn't AE do all the configurations by itself - maybe like it is done
in Cinema 4D?

Thanks in advance!

Sebastian Lange | Motion Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved