ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS4 Multiple queues crashes system

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike BahuaudCS4 Multiple queues crashes system
by on Jul 29, 2010 at 9:16:31 pm

Hey everyone,

I've recently been upgraded to a new system plus some newer software. My issue is this:

I add multiple compositions to my render queue. The first queue works out perfect, no problems. But all of the others get roughly 25% complete before I hear that wonderful sheep sfx, where it fails and moves on to the next. All of the others proceed to fail as well. I then have to close AE and reopen my project before it lets me render out another comp successfully.

I've played a little with my RAM settings, and have tried turning off the OpenGL, but nothing seems to work.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

I'm running a 2x2.6PHz Quad-Core Intel Mac with 6GB of ram.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: CS4 Multiple queues crashes system
by on Jul 29, 2010 at 9:24:35 pm

Do you get any error messages?

If you have multiprocessing turned on, you should turn it off. 6 GB is not enough RAM. You want to aim for 2-4 GB per core, plus a couple GBs for the operating system, before you enable multiprocessing.

Consider rendering to image sequences instead of movies. When rendering to an image sequence, you can easily pick up a failed render where it left off. You can stitch the final renders into movies with AE or Quicktime Player Pro.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Mike BahuaudRe: CS4 Multiple queues crashes system
by on Jul 30, 2010 at 3:19:39 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm happy to say that everything seems to be working so far.

I had been getting errors messages. The first was about OpenGL, which I just turned off. Then I would get some 23::40 (out of memory) errors. I'm thinking that this would relate more towards the multiprocessing option.

I did have the multiprocessing turned on, and I changed that as you suggested. I also went through the secret menu and turned on purging after every frame. I'm not too sure if it was just one of these that had to be changed or if both helped, regardless, it's working.

The tip of rendering images is actually something I learned a few years ago while dealing with Maya and some failed renders. It's certainly something everyone should take advantage of.

Thank you again for your help on this!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: CS4 Multiple queues crashes system
by on Jul 30, 2010 at 5:15:18 pm

[Mike Bahuaud] "I also went through the secret menu and turned on purging after every frame."

You may not have to go to that extreme: purging after every frame really slows AE down. You most likely can get away with every 10 frames, and probably more. It'll take some experimentation, if you're up for it.

If long render times aren't a problem for you, then never mind.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mike BahuaudRe: CS4 Multiple queues crashes system
by on Jul 30, 2010 at 6:51:30 pm

That's good to know, I'll definitely do some test renders to see what works best.

Long render times don't bother me too much, but who really loves waiting longer than they need to?

Thanks Dave!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]