ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

HUGE Illustrator files in After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kurt murphyHUGE Illustrator files in After Effects
by on Jul 29, 2010 at 7:31:14 pm

I'm looking fir the best way to streamline an Illustrator file for After Effects. I've got a map that's about 13,000 pixels square and when i bring it into AE and make it a 3D layer, it really bogs it down (and this is without lights). I need to use this in a news environment so I need to have this render faster than a few hours (I'm talking minutes).

I've scaled the file in Illustrator so that it's about 3500 x 3500, but the file is still unworkable - in fact sometimes it just shows up black (haven't figured that one out yet either).

I don't know much about Illustrator, but i was trying to make the file smaller (it's about 40 megs), so I converted the text to outlines, and merged the layers, but the file size is still huge.

Does anyone have any insight on how use massive Illustrator file in AE?

Thanks,

kurt murphy

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: HUGE Illustrator files in After Effects
by on Jul 29, 2010 at 7:39:22 pm

Does this Illustrator file contain all-vector artwork and nothing else? You're in luck!

Using the Collapse Transformations switch, you can scale up this illustrator layer as much as you want with no loss of sharpness at the edges.

This means, of course, that you can scale down the original Illustrator document and make it a more manageable size for AE use... and unfortunately, I'm not the world's swiftest Illustrator user, either, so I can't tell you how to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

kurt murphyRe: HUGE Illustrator files in After Effects
by on Jul 29, 2010 at 8:27:12 pm

Thanks Dave, I forgot to mention that I was using the Collapse Transfomations - That's why i knew that i could scale the physical file size down. But unfortunately, even scaled the file is still huge (meg-wise) and it makes AE CRAWL...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: HUGE Illustrator files in After Effects
by on Jul 29, 2010 at 8:38:34 pm

Have you tried making an eps file out of it? It might cut the file size. As you know, it doesn't even have to be as big as your comps, because you can scale it up.

I tried something similar using a PDF of a road map. I ended up cutting the thing into sections... or should I say, someone else cutting it into sections.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]