ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects keeps crashing on the same frame.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
João Loff
After Effects keeps crashing on the same frame.
on Jul 29, 2010 at 4:08:37 pm

Hi there, I have a bit of an urgency here, and this one is holding me back.

I have a composition which comprises particles and other compositions made of video layers, which the camera pans to and away. The project is rendering perfectly, but on the transition from one of the video comps to the other one (this transition is a fast camera pan), the program always crashes and freezes. I've tried changing the keyframes, changing the keyframe data, changing them from place. To no avail. The videos in the comps play well separately, and the rest of the whole composition works, it is this particular pan that keeps crashing.

Any help would be nice! Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: After Effects keeps crashing on the same frame.
on Jul 29, 2010 at 4:11:48 pm

Try prerendering those nested comps.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

João Loff
on Jul 29, 2010 at 4:57:00 pm

Hi Dave! Jut tried pre-rendering... it didn't work, it still crashes.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 29, 2010 at 5:05:35 pm

There has to be something about that particular frame. Put the caps lock key on to prevent AE from updating, then go to the problem frame in the timeline. Examine the layers: any new ones there? Could a file be corrupted? Could a still be in CMYK when it needs to be RGB? Are you making a lot of particles at that point?

Do a little detective work.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

João Loff
on Jul 29, 2010 at 5:15:39 pm

No new layers, the files are RGB (they are video files), and I replaced the video files that were there with new ones, generated in an editing program. Changed the particle parameters. It still crashes on the exact same spot.I'm leaving work now, but will try it again tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help, Dave!
Best regards ;)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jul 29, 2010 at 7:48:39 pm

At times I've had this happen to me for no apparent reason- AE just did not like something on one frame. The workaround was to render frames (tga or tiff) and when it crashed to skip that particular frame and render the rest starting from the next frame. Then I would try to turn off filters and play with the settings as Dave said, by having Caps Lock on so that AE won't refresh. Once I turned off a filter I would turn off Caps Lock and see if it crashed again. Most times with particles it was the motion blur- once turned off it worked. So I would render out that frame with no motion blur and then "fake" the motion blur, then insert the frame in the sequence.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

João Loff
on Jul 30, 2010 at 1:36:29 pm

Well I rendered everything without the problem frame, it's a pan so you can't tell. But it's a pain-in-the-neck glitch, no doubt about it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]