ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

need advice - AE keeps crashing - audio preview

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Quentin Blockneed advice - AE keeps crashing - audio preview
by on Jul 29, 2010 at 10:19:03 am

Hi,
I'm having a tough time with AE (CS3 8.0.2.27 on mac os 10.4.11) - keeps crashing when I preview audio. It's a big project, lots of audio tracks, viewing waveforms in comps.
Get the message 'The application Adobe AE 8.0 quit unexpectedly..." every time I preview audio (press period on numeric keypad) more than once or twice.
I've tried the project on 2 different machines (with slightly different OS,versions of QT, etc.), restarting, trashing preferences...
but AE keeps crashing and I can't make any headway.
Is there a limit to the number of audio tracks/files that AE can handle?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: need advice - AE keeps crashing - audio preview
by on Jul 29, 2010 at 10:55:49 am

AE is not really meant for audio editing/mixing. It is best to use Premiere/FCP or other editing software to mix audio to a final track and then import that in AE. Another reason for crashes would be if you use mp3 instead of wave or aiff- but still, with a lot of tracks you may still experience crashes.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Quentin BlockRe: need advice - AE keeps crashing - audio preview
by on Jul 29, 2010 at 11:07:44 am

Thank you for the reply.
I'm using aiff files.
I do need to be flexible with the audio - sliding it around and tweaking the animation accordingly. Need to be able to move all the pieces...
I guess I can try merging a bunch of the layers - outputting them into one track and then re-importing them? (to reduce the number of audio layers)
But I didn't know that AE can't handle many audio tracks. I've used lots of different footage pieces (with audio) and audio tracks before without these problems...
Any other suggestions why it might be crashing so much?

Return to posts index

Michael DohertyRe: need advice - AE keeps crashing - audio preview
by on Jul 29, 2010 at 3:37:51 pm

Try to change the file format (aiff to wav) or even recompress the audiofiles to the same format with software different from the one you used originally.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 29, 2010 at 5:49:49 pm

The audio I'm using is recorded system audio, exported from Audio Hijack Pro. There's no .wav option - only mp3, AAC, Apple Lossless (.m4a), or AIFF.
I can convert all the audio files to .wav if necessary in an external program, or I can use one of these...
Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: need advice - AE keeps crashing - audio preview
by on Jul 29, 2010 at 6:46:57 pm

Try using Quicktime Pro to do it. Or MPEG Streamclip.

If we knew what other software you ran, we could be more helpful, but that'll get you started.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: need advice - AE keeps crashing - audio preview
by on Jul 29, 2010 at 4:10:22 pm

[Quentin Block] "I do need to be flexible with the audio - sliding it around and tweaking the animation accordingly. Need to be able to move all the pieces..."

When I do effects that sync up with sound effects or other audio, I just use it as a reference, in one layer I get the animation as close as I can. I never render audio.

If the audio needs to be nudged a frame or so, it's a lot easier to do that in an editing application, where things are real-time all the time.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Aug 1, 2010 at 2:51:20 am

Just a quick follow up - I changed all the files to wavs, re-installed + updated Aftereffects, and did a host of other things that were suggested on different forums. The comp still seemed to crash.
What worked definitively was that I stopped editing the sound waveforms in s separate related comp timeline that was undocked (and parked on a second monitor). I didn't crash after doing that.
Hope this helps if someone else runs into this problem...
Cheers and thanks for all the advice.

Return to posts index

Mordy RappRe: need advice - AE keeps crashing - audio preview
by on Nov 24, 2014 at 9:01:11 am

WOW - having the same issue

Looks like I will have to use your work around...on a 20 minute film all made in AE...good lord.......

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]