ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS5 crashing in Slow Leopard... fonts?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arvin Bautista
AE CS5 crashing in Slow Leopard... fonts?
on Jul 28, 2010 at 9:52:30 pm

Just installed CS5 Production Premium and AE and PS crash because of fonts, apparently. AE won't start at all and PS either crashes at startup or when I use the text tool.

I know it's a font compatibility issue, I've been able to remove all the fonts from my font folder and they both start working... but as soon as I bring them back in they start crashing. Font Doctor shows no errors, Font Book shows some "minor issues" on a few fonts but no "serious errors", but it's 300 fonts that are "minor issues" and Font Book even crashes if I try to remove them.

This is so annoying. CS4 works fine! I don't want to have to remove all 300 fonts, I don't even know if it'll work. I've also removed Postscript Type 1 fonts as I've heard it's a problem, I've cleared caches and repaired permissions. Even deleted preference lists.

What else is there to do that doesn't involve one by one reinstalling my 1200 fonts!?

Arvin Bautista
Greasy Pig Studios
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.greasypigstudios.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: AE CS5 crashing in Slow Leopard... fonts?
on Jul 28, 2010 at 11:12:59 pm

[Arvin Bautista] "What else is there to do that doesn't involve one by one reinstalling my 1200 fonts!?"

Are you using a font manager? It might help.

Have you seen this technote on font-related crashes with Photoshop CS5?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Arvin Bautista
Re: AE CS5 crashing in Slow Leopard... fonts?
on Jul 28, 2010 at 11:37:21 pm

The methods brought up by that adobe article seem to have solved my problem (basically tapping down the Font Book one by one and removing fonts that cause the program to crash).

Another method which may be quicker is to go through the Fonts folder and view it through Cover Flow... nonfunctioning fonts will just show the .ttf icon but proper fonts show up as a thumbnail of the actual font.

Thanks for the help!

Arvin Bautista
Greasy Pig Studios
Los Angeles, CA
http://www.greasypigstudios.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]