ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Front-Back Preset

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil DempsterFront-Back Preset
by on Jul 28, 2010 at 3:27:49 pm

Hello AE Experts! I have been using AE presets for awhile but one has me pulling out my hair trying to figure it out. The 'Text' preset, Front-Back, does not have a place to enter the 'front' and 'back' text elements (that's what intuitively makes sense to me) and I can't believe that I am expected to make the changes to each frame along the timeline. What am I missing?

Thanks for any help or direction you can provide!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Front-Back Preset
by on Jul 28, 2010 at 5:13:09 pm

You create the text layer, and THEN you apply the text animation preset.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Neil DempsterRe: Front-Back Preset
by on Jul 28, 2010 at 5:26:43 pm

Thanks Dave! I had already tried that but the preset changes the text layer to five rows of 'Front' and five rows of 'Back' with 45 frames of single frame iterations of change between the word Front and the word Back (row by row). When I change the first frame text to what I want and then move to the second frame it changes back to the preset text ('Front'). Thoughts?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

by on Jul 28, 2010 at 6:20:16 pm

Go check what's typed in under Source Text property.

Then open up AE Help and read up on the topic of text animation. There's too much on the it to cover it all in a simple post.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jul 28, 2010 at 6:58:56 pm

I have already researched the help menu which is why I am turning to this forum for help (nothing I have found explains the circumstances with this preset). I may be missing something but most text presets use the text I have typed into the text box. This particular preset replaces the text (with the words Front/Back) and creates seven 'hold' keyframes which - over 45 frames - switches, by row, the word Front with the word Back. Although I could change the text box for EACH of the 45 frames, this would make no sense (presets are supposed to SAVE time!). My question is what am I missing here?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

by on Jul 28, 2010 at 7:41:49 pm

Well, did you at least try looking at the the Source Text property after you've applied the preset, as I suggested?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jul 28, 2010 at 7:49:33 pm

Hello Dave! Please be patient with me ... I have tried to understand the 'Source Text' in this preset but I can find no 'property' to look at. Under the layer it does list Source Text but there is nothing under R-click or anything else to drill down. In the timeline there are the seven keyframes I mentioned in my previous post. Where should I be looking and what should I look for?

Thank you for working with me on this!

Return to posts index

by on Jul 28, 2010 at 7:56:17 pm

Hello Dave! Please be patient with me ... I have tried to understand the Source Text in this preset but I can find no 'Property' to look at. Under the layer it does list Source Text but there is nothing under R-click or anywhere else to drill down. In the timeline there are the seven keyframes I mentioned in my previous post. Where should I be looking and what should I be looking for?

Thank you for working with me on this.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 28, 2010 at 8:02:03 pm

Since I'm NOT at my AE machine, and I've never even touched that particular preset, it's kinda difficult to work from memory, y'know?

Start by converting those Hold keyframes to something else. Try typing something into the Source Text property. Go look up some Andrew Kramer tutorials on videocopilot.net.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

karen cummingsRe: Front-Back Preset
by on Apr 6, 2012 at 7:59:47 pm

Hi Neil,

Did you ever figure this out? It's got me baffled as well.

Thanks!
Karen

Return to posts index

by on Apr 6, 2012 at 8:20:39 pm

Hi Karen! I wish I had good news, but I never did get that one to work. I picked something else (I don't recall now what). If you can figure it out, I would love to know.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]