ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

file size extremely large

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Vonner
file size extremely large
on Jul 28, 2010 at 2:46:32 pm

Hi guys
When i render videos in AE, (current settings, lossless) the file size is enormous. Does anyone have any tips on rendering an HD video while keeping a streamlined file size?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: file size extremely large... Get Used To It
on Jul 28, 2010 at 4:04:38 pm

You're probably working with something like HDV video, which has the bejeezus compressed out of it from the start. If you render out to HDV from AE, you're going to compress the bejeezus out of it AGAIN, and picture quality will drop like a rock.

That's why you render high-quality files out of AE: so you preserve as much image quality as you can. And high quality means big file sizes. Get used to it. If you don't have enough storage, get more.

Now, if you tell us how you intend to use this video once you're done with it in AE, and something about your system and the other software you run, we might be able to to offer some helpful suggestions.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mike Vonner
on Jul 28, 2010 at 5:38:23 pm

The video will be played at 720 dpi on the web. I am rendering it with lossless settings in the output module and "current settings" in the render settings section.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 28, 2010 at 5:53:38 pm

[Mike Vonner] "The video will be played at 720 dpi on the web."

I bet you actually mean 1280x720. The term "dpi" means "dots per inch", which is really significant in printing and in Photoshop, but irrelevant in video and in After Effects.

Here's what you do: keep your lossless file. Find out what kind of file you need for web playback; every video-posting web site has a page for delivery specifications. Bring your lossless file into some sort of compression application (Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze, Quicktime Pro, MPEG Streamclip, etc.) and make the file.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Mike Vonner
on Jul 28, 2010 at 6:30:10 pm

Thanks, well i want to post it on my own website. so the lossless file is set at avi format, depth: millions of colors, color: premultiplied, channel: RGB

The current settings are: 1920 X 1080, field render: off, frame rate: 29.97

a 30 secon file is about 8 gigs

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 28, 2010 at 6:42:03 pm

Then I'd make it a 1280x720 H.264 file. Use one of the compression apps mentioned earlier to do it. Use multipass encoding -- you'll get much better-looking stuff. It'll take a while to do, but your carefully-crafted, huge original file will look really nice. And it'll play on the web, too.

It may take a few attempts to get it right, but you'll get there.

So why not just do the compression in AE? AE's not built for good-looking compression. It's built for quick 'n dirty compression.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Jul 30, 2010 at 3:06:52 am

[Dave LaRonde] "It's built for quick 'n dirty compression..."

... or very little compression, for high-quality files to be delivered somewhere else for more processing.

(just preventing potential misunderstanding in the audience ...)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]