ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Equipment for freelance

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Hodgson
Equipment for freelance
on Jul 28, 2010 at 1:45:43 pm

Hey all,

I am a motion designer who is going freelance and I need to put together a mid-priced I/O system and a broadcast monitor. I have a Mac Pro with the programs I need...

It would be nice to have a fairly flexible system... for monitoring and for the cases if I needed to rent a deck for finishing, but I also need to try and find a solution that won't break the bank.

I use an AJA Kona card at work, but I was hoping to keep budget around $2000 for both. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Brad

Return to posts index

Lee Warner
Re: Equipment for freelance
on Jul 28, 2010 at 1:54:03 pm

Look at the Matrox devices. You can get one of the lower cost units for monitoring via HDMI to one of the Panasonic Pro Plasmas which are reasonably priced and reviewed well for color grading. You might even have a few bucks left over.

Lee
SAMDOG Digital Post

Return to posts index

Brad Hodgson
on Jul 28, 2010 at 2:23:54 pm

Great, thank you Lee... I'll check them out right now.

Brad Hodgson

Return to posts index

Tom Masters
on Jul 29, 2010 at 4:13:01 am

I would go with a Blackmagic HD Extreme.
For accurate and affordable color monitoring, go with a Sony PVM series monitor if you can still get your hands on one. The Blackmagic card can output SD, or downconvert HD to SD to the PVM for accurate color monitoring.

If you need to go to tape, rent a deck, the Blackmagic card has the outputs for this.

I am running this system with CS5 and it works great.
I honestly trust my Sony PVM at home over my $15k Cinetal at work (for color anyways)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 29, 2010 at 6:22:49 am

[Tom Masters] "For accurate and affordable color monitoring, go with a Sony PVM series monitor if you can still get your hands on one."

If you want to do color-accurate work, it's probably a good idea to have an engineer calibrate a second-hand monitor.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]