ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

flickering/glitches on AE cs5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wilson Camposflickering/glitches on AE cs5
by on Jul 28, 2010 at 5:28:34 am

I have some videos recorded from a Sanyo camera. I have them as .MOV, apple mpeg-2 sd camcorder video, 720x576 at 25 fps. when i open them in quicktime they without any problem but once I import them to AE cs5 (done all the updates from adobe) and i preview it plays with some glitches/flickering like there was a lag between frames..

I have disabled OpenGL - (as well removed openGL plug in from extensions folder) but it didn't work..

I have tried to encode with another codec (h264) and import to AE but it does the same...

Have a look on the video,

, is more strong on the 17 sec onward and some other clips as well. some other clips are totally fine...

Any help?

This has happened before with only graphics animation i have done before.. I thought it was because i was exporting as h264 and then tried to export as MOV - animation and was fine..

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: flickering/glitches on AE cs5
by on Jul 28, 2010 at 6:15:10 am

It looks like your footage was interlaced to begin with and you reversed the field dominance in the interpretation of your footage- so whenever you have fast movement in the frame you notice the jitter. Check and see if that's the issue.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Wilson CamposRe: flickering/glitches on AE cs5
by on Jul 28, 2010 at 6:21:29 am

brilliant! that's what it was, thanks a lot!
I need to learn how does those upper/lower fields work - and what it is basically..

have a good day!

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: flickering/glitches on AE cs5
by on Jul 28, 2010 at 1:14:17 pm

Also, just for the record, taking a compressed video format (MPEG-2) and encoding it to another compressed format (H.264) is not a good practice.
What you want to do is take such icky compressed video and convert it to something lossless when you're planning to use it in After Effects (Quicktime with the PNG codec is quite popular for that...NOT a PNG sequence, btw.)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved