ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

What's the best way to convert frame rate and still keeping the audio in sync?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leah StipicWhat's the best way to convert frame rate and still keeping the audio in sync?
by on Jul 27, 2010 at 8:12:15 pm

I'm in the process of making a short film. It's going to have a graphic novel style to it, but lots of it has been shot on green screen with real actors. I want to slow the framerate down slightly so it has a more animated feel to it. Right now it's 25fps HDV720p. Any ideas on the best way to convert the frame rate on the video but still keep the audio in sync? And any suggestions on what frame rate would create the desired effect?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: What's the best way to convert frame rate and still keeping the audio in sync?
by on Jul 27, 2010 at 8:17:23 pm

To suggest the right technique, it would be helpful to know what you need to DELIVER.
PAL broadcast or PAL DVD/Blu-Ray? Web only? A film-out?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Leah StipicRe: What's the best way to convert frame rate and still keeping the audio in sync?
by on Jul 28, 2010 at 7:07:13 am

We are trying to get it into festivals so there's a chance it may have to be converted to film at some point. The output will be PAL DVD. I don't think it will ever be for television broadcast, but I suppose if there's a specific technique that allows it to work properly for all that would be best!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: What's the best way to convert frame rate and still keeping the audio in sync?
by on Jul 28, 2010 at 2:45:04 pm

[Leah Stipic] "...it may have to be converted to film at some point. The output will be PAL DVD..."

Thanks for clarifying. You're going to have a tough time keying, sorry to say. HDV is just about the WORST way to record video for keying, because HDV codecs eliminate a lot of color information... and what do you need for a good chroma (aka color) key? It will be particularly noticeable at the edges.

I recommend keeping the project at HD, and at 25fps. To get the cartoony-like motion, I recommend using AE's Posterize Time effect, setting it for 5fps.

Only at the very last, when you're back in your editing application, would I create a file for widescreen PAL SD DVD. If a film frame rate is ever needed, I would conform the completed movie to 24fps.

I can't speak to sync problems, because I never have them.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Leah StipicRe: What's the best way to convert frame rate and still keeping the audio in sync?
by on Jul 28, 2010 at 4:29:19 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your advice thus far!

Keying hasn't been too much of an issue, firstly because the green screen we shot on was well lit and the JVC studio camera was quite good, that combined with motions primatte it's come out looking pretty good!! Luckily the overall style allows me to hide the edges a bit.

As for the posterize time effect I did try that and it works, but not exactly in the way I hoped. I have played with the strobe effect in FCP/motion and I am now starting to get somewhere. I set it to 20 and then to 18 and it seems to be doing what I want now. As the characters are green screen I think you are right in not changing the frame rate... this way I can just effect the characters individually and not have to mess about with different frame rates until it's absolutely necessary.

Thanks again. Best,

Leah

Return to posts index

Danny HaysRe: What's the best way to convert frame rate and still keeping the audio in sync?
by on Jul 29, 2010 at 8:31:44 pm

HDV may not be a great format to key, but I'v been able to get good keys with Keylight in AE and Ultra key can get a decent key from almost anything. Your lighting has to be done right though, even greenscren lighting, as much space as you can get between the subject and the screen to reduce spill and good back lighting, maybe the most important, in my opinion. Neoscene is a good intermediate format to key with. Hope this helps, Danny Hays

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]