ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Broadcast quality

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bree adamsBroadcast quality
by on Jul 27, 2010 at 6:33:56 pm

I produce spots for commercials that air on TV during prime time.

The spots I produce look AMAZING on my end in HD. But when I viewed them on air this week they lacked the quality...probley by 50%. Although I produce them in HD they are often aired in SD in many areas. THe one I viewed was SD.

My concern is the quality should still have been much better than what I viewed on air.

I use a Canon 7D. Export from Final Cut in .mov files with a compression of h.264.
I import into AE CS5 for editing and export again as a H.264. Where am I losing quality? Is there something I can change on this end or is this a broadcast station issue?

I have an iMac 1.5.8 if that helps at all.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Broadcast quality
by on Jul 27, 2010 at 6:44:19 pm

That sounds like more of an FCP question, to be truthful.....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Broadcast quality
by on Jul 27, 2010 at 6:53:29 pm

If the movies that came out of your shop looked fine, it's not your problem.

... but I wouldn't compress to H.264 twice in the future. I'd have exported out of the FCP sequence at Current Settings, rendered out of AE in the Animation (or PNG) codec, then used QT Pro to Export that to H.264. Would that be possible?

Return to posts index

bree adamsRe: Broadcast quality
by on Jul 27, 2010 at 7:14:26 pm

Actually...I just double checked and I do export out of FC with current settings and only compress in AE :)

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Steve BlackerRe: Broadcast quality
by on Jul 27, 2010 at 11:36:49 pm

Rather than compress in AE, perhaps try using Quicktime 7 and export your animation codec QTs as h264 files using the x264 codec - we use that at work for showing videos to clients for feedback, etc. The quality is pretty decent if you have your settings right.

We don't send h264 files to station, usually Beta SP or Motion JPEG for cinema pre-show and stuff that gets uploaded to clients.

It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved