ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

If you had to choose- HDV or AVCHD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tudor "Ted" JelescuIf you had to choose- HDV or AVCHD
by on Jul 27, 2010 at 6:16:31 pm

Here goes my first question:
I've been shooting RED lately- got really spoiled with that. Now I have a lower budget project. So, if you had the choice of HDV or AVCHD for shooting interviews in the studio with a animated background projected on a retro projection screen behind the person being interviewed, which codec would you choose? Cameras are about the same and the final footage will have some graphics over and slight color grading.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: If you had to choose- HDV or AVCHD
by on Jul 27, 2010 at 6:50:08 pm

Despite the long GOP issue in AVCHD I'd choose it over HDV in a heartbeat. I've done some shooting and editing in both formats and transcode to ProRes 422, the AVCHD holds up better depending on the frame rate and size you're shooting.

The cameras were very different in my case a Sony HVR-Z1U and a Panasonic GH1 still camera with a fast lens.

I've had the best results in AVCHD at 720p/30, it transcodes better to 24p or 29.97 depending on your needs though you may be shooting 25p in Romania anyway. YMMV.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: If you had to choose- HDV or AVCHD
by on Jul 27, 2010 at 6:54:59 pm

My vote would be "neither".

I'd try to use a Panasonic P2 camera instead, like an HVX 200 or an HPX 170. They have 4-2-2 color resolution rather than the 4-2-0 typical of HDV or AVCHD. No matter which camera you choose in that price range, it's going to record in something like a 1.33 pixel aspect ratio.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: If you had to choose- HDV or AVCHD
by on Jul 27, 2010 at 7:19:06 pm

Yeah, I know, if I had my choice I would not use that either, but the place where we're shooting has only these two cameras that fit the budget so I have to choose one of the two- my initial thought was AVCHD, so I guess that's what I'll be using.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: If you had to choose- HDV or AVCHD
by on Jul 27, 2010 at 9:04:32 pm

AVCHD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]