ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects ( CS5 ) and Final Cut Pro workflow questions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Petr Tomkevich
After Effects ( CS5 ) and Final Cut Pro workflow questions
on Jul 26, 2010 at 1:47:41 pm

Hey everybody,

I am trying to gain some knowledge on working with a project that requires some VFX from After Effects with the delivery being in Apple ProRes 422. I understand the workflow inside FCP completely and have a nearing deadline so I don't have the time to learn Premiere even though I am planning on it. I never used FCP with AE and am only new to AE. Some questions here :

When is the best time to export a sequence from FCP to AE? Can I do it anytime or is it not as seamless as Premiere?

If I want to deliver in 4k through Color, when can I start meddling with the footage in AE?

and...

How do I export from FCP to AE and from AE to FCP?

Thanks,
Petr

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
Re: After Effects ( CS5 ) and Final Cut Pro workflow questions
on Jul 26, 2010 at 7:24:10 pm

It will not be as seemless as in all adobe project connected by the dynamic link. There is something out there called automatic duck that people use. Read through this: http://www.creative-workflow-hacks.com/2006/03/09/moving-between-final-cut-...
Or if you have boris:http://www.borisfx.com/tutorials/XML-Transfer.php
But when? That is kinda up to you. When I finish my edit I export just the shots to be affected with handles to a qt movie, mess it in AE and export in uncompressed (animation) and then relink in FCP. So I never bring in the entire timeline, and wouldn't want to (if only a couple of shots are to be effected and not the whole thing, why waste time rendering to import and render again?) Then the finished edit goes to Color. Cheers!
-Keith

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

Petr Tomkevich
on Jul 28, 2010 at 1:59:40 am

Hey Keith,

Never heard of Automatic Duck, I'll give it a go. Very new to After Effects. I appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Petr

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jul 29, 2010 at 9:08:43 am

Try XMLs first, it might be OK for you:
– export XMLs from FCP
– load them into PPro
– save the PPro project (I like this better than DL)
– open in AEFX

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]