ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Feathering an animation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cedric BogaertFeathering an animation
by on Jul 25, 2010 at 9:07:20 am

Hello world!

I was working on a project, and I had made a short transparent animation. I would like to use this animation as displacement map on a wall, to create a cool effect. But for that I first need to feather the animation. The animation changes his matte all the time, so it is impossible to mask everething out and feather that.

Any suggestions?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

When it HURTS to look back, and you're SCARED to look ahead,you can look beside you and Bogstar will be there

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Feathering an animation
by on Jul 25, 2010 at 3:21:46 pm

It's kind of hard to understand what you're asking without images- post a short clip or a few stills and you may get an answer.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Cedric BogaertRe: Feathering an animation
by on Jul 26, 2010 at 12:45:53 pm

Oh, it isn't really hard to understand. I'll give ya a short exemple: http://tekenfilms.wikispaces.com/file/view/scooby_doo.png/31593349/scooby_d...

Lets say that I've took this image, and animated it., so that the dog moves all the time. But I would like to feather the dog('s edges) himself, while he is moving. If it was a still image, I could just draw a mask around it, and feather that mask. But it is moving, so I don't want to mask it whole the time. Is there another way to do this?

When it HURTS to look back, and you're SCARED to look ahead,you can look beside you and Bogstar will be there

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Feathering an animation
by on Jul 26, 2010 at 1:43:07 pm

If you're taking the image and animating it, you can still put a mask on it and feather it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Feathering an animation
by on Jul 26, 2010 at 3:33:19 pm

This might work. Not sure in your case.

If the animation is on a solid colored background as is the sample you provided you could use keylight to key out the background and use the edge softness and edge shrink/grow features to effectively feather the edge.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]