ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Paranormal Activity Titles After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert PageParanormal Activity Titles After Effects
by on Jul 25, 2010 at 7:21:12 am

Hi there. I'm creating a parody of Paranormal Activity in the form of a trailer and I need to know how to make the badtv-looking titles from the movie. I've tried using the AE presets but they don't provide that looking-through-the-camera image i require. Has anybody got any solutions to this problem?

Would anybody like a peanut?

Return to posts index

Antony BuonomoRe: Paranormal Activity Titles After Effects
by on Jul 25, 2010 at 4:20:33 pm

I have a nut allergy but...

Do you mean fuzzy, out of focus, static/interference? Judging by the fact that you went looking through the presets first I'm guessing that you are quite new to AE, but please tell me if I'm wrong. If you are quite new and you want any of the effects I have mentioned you should be prepared to invest a good amount of time into ramping up your skills, none of them can be achieved with one click. Bad-TV is easier and you will be able to find some presets if you search, however you still need some basic AE knowledge to use any preset properly. Do a search for After Effects beginner tutorials - is excellent.

If you do know AE then you can achieve the bad-TV look through making some noise (either through turbulent noise, cell pattern etc), maybe separating the RGB and then making a track matte with some text. Just animate the text in a jumpy style and voilĂ . VC has a great plug-in that you can buy called Twitch which will do a lot of this for you.

Sorry if this is more work than you anticipated, but AE isn't a one click toy. It's a beautiful but complex professional motion graphics/VFX tool.

Vertigo Productions

Return to posts index

Robert PageRe: Paranormal Activity Titles After Effects
by on Jul 26, 2010 at 12:39:17 am

Yes I am fairly new to After Effects, having mainly done motion graphics making text and particle systems. I have used to do basic tutorials and some slightly more advanced ones but my understanding of the software is still quite limited.

Yes! I'm looking to do exactly what you've just described. How do I animate text with a jumpy style? Again, I'm fairly new to all this having only used after effects for picture grading and some motion graphics, however I understood what you meant when you were talking about separating the RGB and making a track matte. Unfortunately, I'm doing this with no money behind me so I can't afford to pay for plug-ins.

After using AE for about a three months now, I am so very aware of how complex it really is. There's a million and one ways to do things. I love using it but it definitely requires a lot of patience and dedication to learn how to use it properly.

Thanks ever so much for your help!

P.S. shame about the nut allergy.

Would anybody like a peanut?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Paranormal Activity Titles After Effects
by on Jul 26, 2010 at 1:41:13 pm

You could use text animators for that. It's highly likely that some of the text animation presets that ship with After Effects will get you close to what you want anyway. Read more about various ways to animate text here.

Also, as someone new to AE, you may find some of these resources beneficial.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Victor UzunowRe: Paranormal Activity Titles After Effects
by on Jul 25, 2010 at 11:49:10 pm

you could try googling some fx, like newblue film fx

Return to posts index

Daniel WaldronRe: Paranormal Activity Titles After Effects
by on Jul 26, 2010 at 5:24:14 pm

I agree with Antony. Twitch is a great plug-in for this type of thing. You can use it to do what you are talking about in probably 10 minutes.

It's cheap too (less than $50 I think, and direct download) for such a powerful preset. I use it all the time for transitions, RGB splitting, jumpy text, camera shakes, etc.

If you don't want to spend the money, mess around with different text transitions, going wild with the key frames. You can piece it together with some other effects, but it might take a while to get exactly what you are looking for since you are not too familiar with it yet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved