ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Creating a water effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt KorshisCreating a water effect
by on Jul 25, 2010 at 1:22:10 am

Hi Guys,
I have a vfx effect to do for a short film I am making, hoping to do it in after effects and photoshop.

I am interested in any suggestions people may have. I not completely new to after effects but have limited experience. I am hoping to complete this effect without the use of a 3d app.

The shot is of a suburban street. It is locked off so no motion tracking is required. I need the effect of water coming down the driveways and pooling on the road side. Not large volumes of water, more as if a hose has been left on and it is flooding down onto the street. Below is a very basic concept of what I am after. I did this in photoshop in about 10 mins but want it better and to look like the water is flowing (the photo is not the actual shot as the film has not been made yet).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Creating a water effect
by on Jul 25, 2010 at 7:49:29 am

Best thing would be if you could actually shoot one drive way with water coming on. Do this a few times and you will have elements to comp on top of your final shot (with some distortion to match perspective).
If not, you need to create some animations of water flowing- in AE Panopticum Water was a plugin that did something like that, but you'll need to so some research.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist
Bucharest, Romania

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Creating a water effect
by on Jul 26, 2010 at 1:26:03 pm

Since your Photoshop recreation looks pretty good, I would suggest taking that method and animating it.
One idea would be to create the final frame of the shot in Photoshop (keeping your water bits on their own layers) then animating a mask to grow the water onto the screen. You might also add a bit of a ripple to the reflection as well.
It wouldn't hurt to add a bit of a splash here and there when/if the water runs into any objects. Perhaps a bit of CC Particle World could come in handy there.
This tutorial might give you some helpful suggestions on the initial pooling of water.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved