ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

New Layer/Solid above current selection

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty FreyNew Layer/Solid above current selection
by on Jul 25, 2010 at 12:36:17 am

Working in AE CS5 on a project that has around 500 layers. Every time I create a new solid or adjustment layer, it appears at the very top of the composition (as layer #1, as it always does) and I'm tired of having to drag these layers all the way to the bottom, it takes awhile.

Someday we'll be working on 50" monitors and this won't be a problem... but until then...

Any way to create a new layer above the currently selected layer?

Return to posts index

Jeffrey KaplanRe: New Layer/Solid above current selection
by on Jul 26, 2010 at 5:13:46 pm

Why don't you use shy layers to hide those layers that are cluttering up your workspace. Then you'll only have to drag your new layers down 20 layers instead of 500. Using Shy Layers

Jeff Kaplan
Point 360 WEST
Animation & VFX Department

Return to posts index

Ty FreyRe: New Layer/Solid above current selection
by on Jul 26, 2010 at 7:05:06 pm

Thanks Jeffrey. Shy layers - one of the many features I forget exists. This should help with my project.

Return to posts index

Vishesh AroraRe: New Layer/Solid above current selection
by on Aug 15, 2012 at 3:16:24 pm

Mr. Frey
Here is a small trick that I have tried for you and it works fine.
Follow the steps below:

1. In the timeline panel. Type the layer number in the search bar(near to the time code) above which you want to add new layer say 253.
2. Now layer 253 will only be visible.
3. Now add a new adjustment layer or null point or anything that u want using keyboard shortcut. Now only two layers will be visible - layer number 253 and and newly added one.
4. Now select the newly added layer and bring it down to layer 253. Now that layer will be layer number 254.
5. Now drag it above the first layer. This way it will take the number 254.
(Make sure that no. 253 is there in the search bar while following the steps)

I hope this is what you want.

I am a keen learner and am very keen on pursuing a career in the animation industry. My artistic skills are mostly self-
taught. I have a deep knowledge base of Photoshop, Maya, Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Final Cut Pro and Sony Vegas.

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Post removed.

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved