ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Lightweight Software for Combining Video / Audio Files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Bloemink
Lightweight Software for Combining Video / Audio Files
on Jul 23, 2010 at 5:20:51 pm

Hey folks,

Does anyone know of a lightweight OSX app that can do simple video tasks (like muxing separate audio and video files) very easily?

I'm looking for a program that won't re compress the video stream when being exported and is extremely lightweight. I have been using Final Cut for this type of muxing, but I feel like there should be an easier way.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Adam Bloemink

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Lightweight Software for Combining Video / Audio Files
on Jul 23, 2010 at 7:07:01 pm

You could TRY MPEG Streamclip (free) to do it, but to be truthful, I don't know if it'll work. It's worth a shot, and it's just a google away.

The reason why not many applications can do what you want: editing applications are built to do that very thing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 23, 2010 at 8:16:31 pm

[Adam Bloemink] "Does anyone know of a lightweight OSX app that can do simple video tasks (like muxing separate audio and video files) very easily?"

Quicktime Player Pro. Since you have FCP, it should already be licensed on your machine.

If you need to work with MPEG files, you'll want to listen to Dave's suggestion of MPEG Streamclip.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Bartek Skorupa
on Jul 23, 2010 at 8:17:01 pm

If you have Final Cut - you also have Quick time player pro.
I simply open video in QT player, then open sound in QT player, hit Cmd-A, Cmd-C (copy audio track), Cmd-` to switch to my video file, opt-left arrow to go to beginning of the video and Cmd-Opt-V to add sound to movie.
Then I save the file as a self contained movie. QT doesn't re-compress the video nor audio. It does only copying. It takes seconds.

There is a very handy shortcut - Cmd-J. It shows you all the tracks you have in your movie. You can delete them, add new ones and so on.

In fact - QT player pro can do more than many users expect.

Bartek Skorupa
Warszawa, Poland

Return to posts index

Adam Bloemink
on Jan 9, 2012 at 2:00:25 am

Thanks guys, that worked well!

Years later, now that I've switched to Premiere Pro, I have a similar query:

Is it possible to do something similar in Premiere? In Final Cut, when you drop the source files in your sequence, it prompts to conform your sequence to the source files. You can then export to "Current Settings" without re compression.

I'm having trouble finding a similar workflow in Premiere. It seems it always wants to re compress my clips, even if my timeline is identical (Prores source to identical output.)

I suppose I could use QT Pro for this, but this seems like a pretty simple task, and I'm sure it must be possible.

Thanks,
Adam

Return to posts index

Adam Bloemink
on Jan 9, 2012 at 2:08:00 am

Just posted this in the Premiere section:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/3/920055

Sorry for the double post!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved