ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

maintain quality of a composition when scaling down?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Staswick
maintain quality of a composition when scaling down?
on Jul 23, 2010 at 5:10:02 pm

Having trouble understanding this concept in AE.

I have a main composition which has a composition nested inside it. I have a camera set-up in the main composition to push into the nested composition untill fills the frame (for example the nested comp is a picture on a wall. when you zoom in the picture fills the frame.) So if I do this the composition is scalled down to something like 30%(to fit in the initial camera view,) as the camera zooms in the nested composition becomes pixely (I assume because it's scaled down.) So, my question is what is the proper way to do this, obviously the quality is there because the ensted comp is 720p ust like the main comp.

I have tried google but really not sure how to articulate this in a search.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: maintain quality of a composition when scaling down?
on Jul 23, 2010 at 7:03:41 pm

You can use the Collapse Transformations switch on the nested comp to get all the resolution back. But be careful if this nested comp is also 3D: if this wall & picture are in 3D space in the nested comp, they'll be in 3D space in your main comp.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric Staswick
on Jul 23, 2010 at 9:08:32 pm

Thanks dave, sounds like perhaps my best bet the is to prerender the comp with 3d movement and then put it in the main comp as a video file?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 23, 2010 at 9:11:40 pm

If your nested comp is one big stinkin' comp, I'd say the answer is yes: prerender it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Eric Staswick
on Jul 23, 2010 at 9:35:48 pm

Would there be another way to maintain the sharpness but have it treated as a flat layer?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 23, 2010 at 9:43:03 pm

Hey, people prerender all the time; it's no big deal, and it helps a lot. Sometimes, you're forced to do it to keep render times within reason.

Of course, you've got to lock down any animation choices before you do the prerender. It's not the best thing to do if you're as decisive as a bed of kelp. You can always endure the less-than-stellar look of not prerendering until you absolutely, positively MUST get the project done.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Charles Taylor
on Jul 26, 2010 at 12:20:30 am

Definitely lot's of good reasons to pre-render, but it shouldn't look better when you do...

What exactly is the problem here - is AE detecting that the comp is at 30% res and deciding that a 1/2 res render is "good enough"? If it is, that's scary. It shouldn't do that...

---
Director of Photography
http://www.CharlesAngusTaylor.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]