ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Losing ability to Media Reconnect in FCP after modifing in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Venable
Losing ability to Media Reconnect in FCP after modifing in AE
on Jul 23, 2010 at 3:00:59 pm

Having recently upgraded from CS3 to CS5 I've been unable to reconnect media created and then modified in AE once placed into a FCP timeline. It seems as though I had this problem before in an earlier version of AE but did not encountered this problem in CS3.

It goes like this;
1. I create a text animation in AE
2. I then import into FCP and place in the timeline
3. I then toggle back to AE and modify the animation
4. Before re-rendering the animation I trash the original file at the Finder level
5. I then re-render the animation making certain that the parameters remain the same, length, number of tracks, etc.
6. I then toggle back to FCP to find that the new file has reconnected itself with the newly modified animation.

It is here at step 6 that things have changed. Now FCP recognizes only the file that is the trash and in order to modify I am having to rename, reimport and replace the animation in the FCP timeline. Lots of extra files created, since I can't seem to ever get anything exactly correct the first time.

The only upgrades I have made is to AE, nothing has changed in FCP (latest version).

Any help in resolving this is greatly appreciated.

Chuck Venable
CV editorial service

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Losing ability to Media Reconnect in FCP after modifing in AE
on Jul 23, 2010 at 3:21:20 pm

I've always played it safe when re-rendering changes to an AE file for use in FCP. I quit FCP, and if the file name is correct and all channels are accounted for, FCP easily can find the modified file without problem.

Since audio isn't AE's strong suit, I almost NEVER render audio tracks, even with lip-sync audio. In fact, I have such a render going at this very moment.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 23, 2010 at 4:04:10 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "In fact, I have such a render going at this very moment."

...and the completed :30 just got transferred into our spot server. Looks AND sounds great.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Chuck Venable
on Jul 23, 2010 at 4:51:23 pm

Thanks Dave. So you followed my steps 1-6 and it worked fine? That is encouraging. Any insight would be most welcome.

Chuck Venable

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Jul 23, 2010 at 3:42:38 pm

I'm with Dave ... Although I don't always do this when working with programs from the same developer and suite (i.e., Photoshop or Illustrator & AE), I've found it best to close my FCP project while I'm modifying AE or PS files it refers to so that when I re-open it, the new versions of modified files are automatically in place without any need for reconnecting, redoing edits, etc.

It sounds like you don't want to close FCP while you modify files for whatever reason so perhaps your problem is that you're not emptying the trash either ... if I recall correctly, FCP finds media files even if they're in the trash.

Return to posts index

Chuck Venable
on Jul 23, 2010 at 3:56:31 pm

Thanks for the responses. Yes Dave you're correct I don't want to have to close and the relaunch FCP each time I make a change and until two days ago (with the CS5 upgrade) I did not have to do so. I guess what I was hoping for was a preference setting that maybe I overlooked, although I've been through them several times now. I can't but think I'm overlooking something simple.

thanks
Chuck Venable

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 23, 2010 at 4:50:17 pm

Well, as Dave Johnson alluded to, you may want to set up the OS to automatically delete anything you drag in the trash.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Charles Taylor
on Jul 26, 2010 at 12:23:04 am

You should be able to just have AE stomp the old file when it renders.

What I'm saying is skip the step where you trash the file - just have AE replace it when you render.

---
Director of Photography
http://www.CharlesAngusTaylor.com

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
on Jul 26, 2010 at 3:43:40 pm

I do it the way Charles suggested (overwrite with new renders) unless I want to save previous versions for comparisons, but since you don't want to close FCP, AE won't overwrite files that are in use and usually returns an error that says just that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]