ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

after effects cs5 sometimes crashes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leo Lagerwallafter effects cs5 sometimes crashes
by on Jul 23, 2010 at 2:35:35 pm

Hi

I am using ae cs5 under windows 7 , the program sometimes crashes when I am using many effects togheter...

An example could be a big scene. A lot of adjusment layers, and
pre-composed scenes, layers , color adjusted materials.

It is really annoying because I dont get the chance to save the projects... Is this normal , or does a perfect system exist..?

error code:
Faulting application name: AfterFX.exe, version: 10.0.0.458, time stamp: 0x4bb2fd36
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be02b
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000c6cd2
Faulting process id: 0x758
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb2a659888d300
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS5\Support Files\AfterFX.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 0c3688c1-9665-11df-83b9-90e6ba0d3e1e

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: after effects cs5 sometimes crashes
by on Jul 23, 2010 at 4:00:03 pm

It would be nice to know the specifics about the computer on which you run AE for troubleshooting purposes.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Leo LagerwallRe: after effects cs5 sometimes crashes
by on Jul 23, 2010 at 4:23:29 pm

My spec:

ASUS P7P55D PRO, Intel P55 Express, 4DDR3 / 2PCI / 2PCIe x1 / 3PCIe x16 / 7SATA / 1IDE / 1eSATA, FireWire / 8USB / GBLAN / HD-Audio, ATX, LGA1156

Intel CPU Intel Quad Core i7 860 (2.8GHz) Socket-1156 1333MHz 8MB Cache 64bit 95W Lynnfield B1 Boxed

DDR3: 1 x Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL8

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB x2

Nivida engtx 275

running under windows 7 64-bit. (latest drivers for everything)

Return to posts index

by on Jul 23, 2010 at 4:36:57 pm

[Leo Lagerwall] "DDR3: 1 x Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL8"

If that's all the RAM you have, there's your problem.

AE 10 is a 64-bit application, and it can access all the memory you can shove into your machine. Heck, it can use 4GB PER CORE to speed rendering.

With a machine so light on RAM, you can't even think about using multiprocessing in AE. Turn it off right now, and don't turn it on again until you get more RAM.

Another thing to consider: you can tell AE how much RAM to use; okay, you're actually telling AE how much RAM it needs to reserve for other handy things on your computer like the operating system -- that's always a good thing to keep running.

So go play with your AE preferences. Give about 1GB to your operating system, and more if you like to have any other applications open when you work in AE.

I'm working with friend who works in a corporate IT department to build a Windows box for AE work at home. We're looking at installing 24GB. Just so you get an idea of what's what with AE & memory.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jul 23, 2010 at 4:52:26 pm

Thanks for the answer.

What is strange is that it happens quite seldom , I can work with big scenes, but suddenly after an hour the ae crashes, sometimes I can work one day without any crash.

But its really annoying when it happens...

Return to posts index

by on Jul 23, 2010 at 4:58:40 pm

[Leo Lagerwall] "But its really annoying when it happens..."

Yup. That's just one of the reasons Adobe made AE 64-bit. AE has always, always been a memory hog. So what do you do? Give it as much memory as possible, which means 64-bit.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

by on Jul 27, 2010 at 7:45:56 pm

Thank you for caring.. But i never ran multiprocessing in AE... :(
And I have allocated 2,5 gb ram.

It is really annoying when the program just crashes with different kind of error messages, I am so tired ot this computer- build. I just want AE to work , I am thinking about selling this one and buy another computer as I cant take all the crashes...

Return to posts index

by on Jul 28, 2010 at 2:17:28 am

I think I was able to track the problem. It seems that the second hdd makes AE crash.

If I change the cache and move my project files to the primary drive which is the windows drive the issues seems to dissapear.

I dont understand because the second disk should be ok, it is an seagate barracuda 1 tb.

Could the disk be damaged in some way , and cause these strange shutdowns in AE?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]