ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Adding more detail into scale and position parameters

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lexi Elven
Adding more detail into scale and position parameters
on Jul 23, 2010 at 10:15:04 am

I'm currently working on a massively detailed projects, and have got to a point where if I zoom in and focus on a more detailed part, my scale and position parameters are just too severe. For example, a move from 0 to 5, looks like 0 to 50.

Is there a way to add more detail in to my parameters so I'm not working with ridiculously small increments?

Many Thanks,
Lasai

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Adding more detail into scale and position parameters
on Jul 23, 2010 at 2:06:33 pm

[Lexi Elven] "Is there a way to add more detail in to my parameters so I'm not working with ridiculously small increments?"

Not directly. I don't know enough about your project to suggest a better workflow, but here are a couple ideas.

Hold Command on a Mac, or Control on Windows, while scrubbing a parameter to make fine adjustments.

Alternately, you could add a Slider Control effect to your footage, then link your parameter to it. Throw in a little math to make it more responsive. For example, to animate Position, you could add two slider controls and rename them "Position X" and "Position Y." For the position parameter on your solid, add an expression:
x = effect("Position X")("Slider") / 10;
y = effect("Position Y")("Slider") / 10;
[x, y]

A move of 10 on Position X will now correspond with 1 pixel on your comp. Change the value in the expression to make it more or less responsive.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Lexi Elven
Re: Adding more detail into scale and position parameters
on Jul 26, 2010 at 12:11:34 pm

Thanks! I'll try this out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>