ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Work on duplicates of the same project without danger?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anders Lilkaer
Work on duplicates of the same project without danger?
on Jul 23, 2010 at 5:55:30 am

Hi,

ive tried searching the forum for this... without any luck.

Is it safe to duplicate a CS5 AE project, and work on the project from to connected computers?
To diffirent names for the projects though - i guess it'll be an easy question for most of you :-)

Anders.

Return to posts index

David Johnson
Re: Work on duplicates of the same project without danger?
on Jul 23, 2010 at 12:27:34 pm

Yes, but you'll effectively be working on two separate projects so the work done in each won't be in the other ... not sure what that would accomplish. Just to clarify, you cannot work on the same project from two different computers without saving over each others' work.

You didn't explain what you're trying to accomplish so perhaps it'll help to say that what you would typically do to have two editors work on separate elements of a master project is split the project so that each editor is working on parts of it that are not in the other, then import one project into the other once all the work is done.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Work on duplicates of the same project without danger?
on Jul 23, 2010 at 3:16:20 pm

I recall that you've asked a similar question in the past. I'm sorry to tell you this: After Effects is a one-user application at its heart. It's not designed for multiple users to work simultaneously on the same project. There are too many dangers inherent in allowing such a thing to happen.

To answer your question directly, yes.

It is possible to duplicate a project, give the duplicates new names, and then multiple users can work on the individual project files with no harm to each others' work. To do such a thing implies that each user is responsible for one clearly-defined portion of the entire project. One user can NOT work on another user's portion of the entire project without causing problems later.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]