ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Three color look to people

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arash SahbaThree color look to people
by on Jul 22, 2010 at 3:55:03 pm

I was wondering how I can achieve a three color look (not natural colors) on footage of people.

An example would be in this video,

I was wondering if there is a tutorial I can follow. I want to look for it myself but I don't even know the name of this effect.

Return to posts index

keith mcgregorRe: Three color look to people
by on Jul 22, 2010 at 8:52:36 pm

It really doesn't look like any effect but looks as though it is done with only color correction tools. Try this: create a new solid, apply either a ramp or the 4 color gradient to it and pick your colors, if you use the 4 color grad move the unused colors off the video footage, import footage if you hadn't already and duplicate it, on the top footage desaturate it -100% and really punch up the contrast and play with gamma settings in the levels effect (or curves if you like), use the gradient as an alpha track matte for the lower video footage and blend the top footage with blending mode of your choice, I used color burn and lost some detail so I duplicated the footage again and removed any effects except for desaturation and set that one as an overlay. Then as a final control for the subject I added an adjustment layer and desaturated it more and messed with the brightness, then precomped and added a white bkgrnd. Hope this points you in the right direction!
Cheers! -Keith. see:

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved