ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Video ouput for iPad ADVICE REQUIRED ASAP

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott GreenVideo ouput for iPad ADVICE REQUIRED ASAP
by on Jul 22, 2010 at 10:10:33 am

I'm doing a video that needs to work on the iPad for tomorrow, but I've never output for iPad before and don't have one to test it on so I need to know it's going to work (at I've at least done my best) when I send it over.

Please can someone clarify what settings to use when adding my 1024x768 project to the render queue for output, including audio.

One other thing, I've noticed that the spec for the iPad says the screen resolution is 1024x768 @ 132ppi. How, if possible, do you change the pixels per inch of your project in After Effects?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I really do love good design - http://www.splurj.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Video ouput for iPad ADVICE REQUIRED ASAP
by on Jul 22, 2010 at 1:04:28 pm

[Scott Green] "...the spec for the iPad says the screen resolution is 1024x768 @ 132ppi."

I don't know where you got that spec from, but that last bit about ppi is total nonsense.

Points Per Inch (ppi, aka Dots Per Inch or dpi in Photoshop) is a crucial parameter... if you're doing print work. It has nothing to do with video. I can think of no video application where it's valid, especially AE.

As a test, make a 15-inch-wide Photoshop document at 150 dpi (or ppi, if you prefer). Make a 5-inch-wide Photoshop document at 450 dpi. Import both into AE.

You will discover they're precisely the same width: 2250 pixels.

So just worry about the 1024x768 part and you'll be good to go.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Video ouput for iPad ADVICE REQUIRED ASAP
by on Jul 22, 2010 at 3:37:59 pm

I'm not sure that you can deliver 1024x768 video for the iPad. From the specs:

H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

(emphasis mine)

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Andy GeorgeRe: Video ouput for iPad ADVICE REQUIRED ASAP
by on Jul 22, 2010 at 4:28:11 pm

I have encoded some 720p stuff for the ipad. Even though that is how it is listed in the specs your 1280x720 gets scaled to 1024x576 to fit within the 1024x768 screen.

So there is no point in going over 1024x576, and you will get a smaller file out of it.

I have not done any further tests on it but 1024x768 might be the answer to actually getting a full screen video. The big question is the Ipad capable of playing such a wonky aspect ratio even though that is it's screen size? I don't know. There might be some better answers to this over at the compression forum.

If your not going to have the ipad in front of you to do some test I would stick to 1024x576.

Render lossless from AE and then use compressor or media encoder to make your file.
If your using compressor the HD Apple TV preset dialed down to about 2.8Mbps works well.

-Andy George
Senior Editor
http://www.chiselindustries.com

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Video ouput for iPad ADVICE REQUIRED ASAP
by on Jul 22, 2010 at 5:04:48 pm

Adding to what the others have written: the 132ppi is probably an indicator of the number of pixels per inch in the display. This tells me that the 1024x768 screen is 7.75 inches by 5.8 inches. I think that's about right for a 9.7" diagonal screen.

... and that's all. As Dave wrote, ppi and dpi are irrelevant in video content creation. They are only relevant for scanning and display: translation out of (scanning) and into (display) the real world.

To reiterate: all you need to know is '1024x768' (or 576). DPI and PPI are irrelevant to us. Whether it's an iPhone, iPad or the NASDAQ Marketsite, size in pixels is all you need to know size-wise.

(Of course, pixel aspect ratio is relevant, too. Use square for computer-like displays.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]